Water Getting Cloudy!!!!

turbonerd

Hi all!! I started noticing that the water in my 24g Nano Cube is getting cloudy! I've heard that carbon filtration helps with this and i have a bag of carbon in the filtration system. i did a 3 gal water change today. params are normal: PH - 7.8, ammonia - 0, nitrites - 0, nitrates - 40, calcium - 360 (havent checked for alk. yet because i do not have a test kit for it.) livestock: 2 false percs, 1 diamond goby, 1 cleaner shrimp, brittle starfish, 3 hermits, 2 snails, 3 cerith snails, 1 sabae anenome. I have 45lbs of live rock and 40 lbs live sand. i use ro/di water for top offs and ocean water for water changes from my lfs.
is there anything i can do to get my water clear again? skimmer maybe?
also i was reading the nano cube manual and it says for reef setups i should take out the bioballs and ceramic rings. is this true? should i add live rock rubble instead of the balls and ceramic rings?
thanks in advance!!

lion_crazz

You definitely need to get yourself an alk test kit because a pH of 7.8 is a little on the low side.
I would slowly start to remove the bio balls and ceramic rings and replace them with rubble rock. I would take out about 1/4 of them every week.
As asked, when was the last time the carbon was changed?

R

rubix973

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
I would slowly start to remove the bio balls and ceramic rings and replace them with rubble rock. I would take out about 1/4 of them every week.
Sorry to hi-jack, but I currently have bio balls in my wet/dry and was just wondering what rubble rock is and what its benefits are?

lion_crazz

Rubble rock is small pieces of live rock. The benefits is that it takes the space of your bioballs and does not need to be cleaned and rinsed, like the bioballs should be.
You should only remove the bioballs if you have at least 1-1.5 lbs. of live rock per gallon of aquarium water.

turbonerd

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
You definitely need to get yourself an alk test kit because a pH of 7.8 is a little on the low side.
As asked, when was the last time the carbon was changed?
ok thanks. i'm getting a alk test kit today. the carbon came with the tank approx 2.5 months ago. should it be changed now?