Water Help Plz

philip_r5

My saltwater aquariums water is green. I cant even see in the tank. I have done water changes but it isn't helping any. I have a 29 bio cube with a 150hqi on it. I light it for 11hrs a day. Feed once every two days. I also clean out the sponges atleast once a week if not more. Help plz.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by philip_r5
http:///forum/post/2733650
My saltwater aquariums water is green. I cant even see in the tank. I have done water changes but it isn't helping any. I have a 29 bio cube with a 150hqi on it. I light it for 11hrs a day. Feed once every two days. I also clean out the sponges atleast once a week if not more. Help plz.
Cut the light way down...might even leave it off totally for a few days. Beyond that...an ultraviolet sterilizer would fix the problem. I use one, but its use and effectiveness to some is highly debatable. Only other thing I can think is your water quality...do you use RO?

philip_r5

I use ro water that has been ultra violet cleand as well. The only thing I can think of that might have effected it is that I put ocean water in the tank. I was going to switch over to using ocean water from my local beach. ... Here we go :p

U

usirchchris

http:///forum/post/2733671
I use ro water that has been ultra violet cleand as well. The only thing I can think of that might have effected it is that I put ocean water in the tank. I was going to switch over to using ocean water from my local beach. ... Here we go :p
Eek...I would not add ocean water unless you are gathering it from way out...even then I would be leary. Anything remotely close to the beach is most likely very polluted with all kinds of funk. Besides that who knows what kind of parasites you may be picking up. I would commence water changes over the next few days, and not add anymore ocean water. JMHO

jkcrumb

http:///forum/post/2733671
hmmmm....u said it.....here we go.
I live in South Jersey so we kind of share the same Ocean and I can tell you that our water quality here is no where close to where it needs to be to be used in a home aquarium. Do u have any livestock???? all of the fish we buy have never been exposed to any of the things we have in our ocean water. I cant blame ya for giving it a try though.....saves time and $$$$ ( but in the long run it will cost ya time and money
)
You may need to start over if you dont have any livestock currently in there. Any live rock??

philip_r5

I have about 20lbs of live rock about 10lb of live sand. Two clowns and some buttons and mushrooms. Snails, crabs.

jkcrumb

I would guess it has to be the ocean water..............I'm not an expert but I would think that you need to keep doing water changes like every other day for a while. how much ocean water did you put in the tank??? (%). It gonna take a while to get it out of there. How long has your tank been up and running??
Can u hook the uv light that u use for the RO water up to your setup?? Can you run carbon and some type of phosphate remover??

aquaknight

Are you sure the water is actually that green, and the glass just doesn't have a solid coating of algae?