Water level in overflow box?

nigam

I gather that most people maintain a high water level in their overflow boxes to reduce noise. So far noise does not appear to be an issue for my (in the wall) tank. The water drains drectly through the bulkhead at the bottom of the overflow box.
Is there any reason to raise the water level in the overflow box by putting pipes inside the overflow box? I don't know if there are benefits from doing so other than noise reduction -- and I've heard that a high water level may have disadvantages...

azfishgal

I was thinking of putting standpipe in my overflow to reduce the noise, thought that would be the only way to keep it quiet. I'm interested to see what everyone else is doing. ***)

nigam

Mine is pretty loud in the back. But its built into a wall and is completely silent from the front. So I'm not worried about noise (yet).
I've heard that if you put in a pipe, water at the bottom of the box does not circulate and bad things can develop. But I have not read anything to suggest that this is the case.
Originally Posted by azfishgal
I was thinking of putting standpipe in my overflow to reduce the noise, thought that would be the only way to keep it quiet. I'm interested to see what everyone else is doing. ***)

dogstar

Higher water levels ( from a standpipe ) in an overflow box does help reduce noise from falling water, adds more water volume to the system, creates a mini refugium, ........

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Higher water levels ( from a standpipe ) in an overflow box does help reduce noise from falling water, adds more water volume to the system, creates a mini refugium, ........
So would you have to clean it out over time, or just leave it?

nigam

That's one of the supposed disadvantages...
Originally Posted by azfishgal
So would you have to clean it out over time, or just leave it?

dperna

i have a home made durso standpipe in my overflow box. it does reduce the noise but right now i am having problems with the balance of water between the sump/overflow box. besides this little incident i dont see any problem with having htem for noise reduction