Water levels

keithb7

I went to take some water to the LFS to get tested and then i acclimated a damsel that they recommended to help speed up the cycle. Now my water level is low and the LFS told me to add RO. I really find this dumb because if i am taking saltwater out why wouldnt i put saltwater back in. Please explain to me how you guys deal with the water when you are taking the water out your self, not evaporation. Is this not sort of a small water change and adding saltwater is the way to replace this water???

itom37

If it isn't due to evaporation you'll want to add premixed water back in. If you add fresh RO water, then the salinity will decrease. Mix some up in a tub or bucket or something and add it. Maybe the LFS just meant to use RO water to make the mix?

peef

Anytime you personally take water out you are taking out the salt as well. So you would want to mix up your own SW and adjust to salinity level of tank. Premix at least 24 hours and circulate with a powerhead to make sure it is cured and mixed properly. If your water level goes down due to evaporation you ONLY add RO water. The water evaporates but salt does not.

keithb7

ok thanks. That is what i figured but the LFS was saying that it was not that big of a deal. i am doing my first water change this weekend and everything is doing really well in the tank. my cycle finished very fast