Water Movement???

eskimo44

How much water movement do i need in my 75gal SWA? I was thinking about 2 160gph power heads and the back flow from a power filter. Is this enough to get my reef started?

arkey.d

Originally posted by eskimo44
How much water movement do i need in my 75gal SWA? I was thinking about 2 160gph power heads and the back flow from a power filter. Is this enough to get my reef started?

With that size tank I would use 3 or 4 Powerheads. I believe the rule of thumb for turnover is 20X Gallons/Hour

arkey.d

Originally posted by eskimo44
OK, i decided to upgrade to 2 295gph. Any consequences due to lack of water movement?

You can get Algea and Cyanobacteria problems with not enough flow, but both involve other factors like high Phosphates and Nitrates etc....

chingchong

i have a 55 gal ... with 2 seio m620, a fluval 304 and hot magnum 250... the seio runs at the time and create enough flow all over the tank ... i can see currents in all 4 corners of the tank
i have a total of 1700gph ...
the nice thing about the seio, it's not a harsh stream ... really gentle and spread out ... definitely happy with this ... and only $70 for both...

big boy69

You need to turn your tank over 10 times an hour to determine what power heads you need.
For ex. if you have a 75g tank, you need to move 750 GPH
From what i was told.

michelle l

I have a 125 gallon, and in one corner I have one 800 GPH powerhead for circulation, in the other corner I have a 500 GPH powerhead for circulation, a Emperor 400 power filter that turns over 400 GPH for some mechanical filtration, and in my wet/dry filter underneath the tank I have an 800 GPH powerhead to return water to the tank. Am I OK on water circulation?