Water Movement????

gen1dustin

Well I'm almost ready to fill my tank with water & get it going. I do have another question though. My tank is a 55g with a 260 watt PC fixture. I'm going to have 60 lbs of live rock & plan on getting some corals like, softies, lps, & polyps. What kind of water movement should I have? Of course I have the movement from the filter, but shouldn't I get a power head or two? Also should I get a certain flow rate, how much? What are some good brands I was looking at the Maxi-Jets.
Thanks

adamc1303

The Maxi jets are great; I didn't want to get them believe it or not because they were cheap. I didn't believe that one of the cheapest power heads can be that great, and let me tell you they are awesome. With power heads I feel that instead of using one strong power head I’d rather use 2 or 3 lower GPH power heads. Go for 2 maxi jet 900's. Flow not only helps coral health and growth, it also helps keep the sand clean because debris can't settle on the sand they remain floating until they go into your over flow box. Maxi jets can also work with most wave makers. I have mine go off at night about an hour after my lights go out, just to add a calmer atmosphere. I still have one Rio power head running and the return from my sump.

gen1dustin

Ok, cool thanks. I had read good about the Maxi-Jets & they're priced great. Glad to hear from you that they do work good. I'll probally get exactly what you said.