Water on the floor

artemk

awesome tank! I have a question. why do a lot of people have their frags on a shelf like yours in your last picture??

xcali1985

I always put mine on a frag rack, It's just a mag float superglued to egg crate. I do this when I'm not sure where I want to place something. Also it is very easy to acclimate the coral to the light as all you have to do is move the mag up a little every couple of days until you determine where its going to be.
Also, I trade a lot with local reefers, and frag my corals. When I do that the frag sits in the rack until they come get them. I just added
Blue Tubbs Zoas
Captain America Zoas
Armor of God Zoas
Pink Monti
Green Monti
Purple Monti
Peach Monti
All from local reefers. I also dip my coral, and since I don't have a QT for my corals so it also gives you somewhere to observe the corals for parasites, Coral dips don't kill everything.

xcali1985

Also if there's nothing on frags in the tank I simply place it in my sump so I don't have to look at it all the time.

xcali1985

Put all the powerheads on the apex today when I got a new Energy Bar 8. Much better results as they no longer fight against each other and kick up sand. I currently have then on 30 seconds each is that to little?
I have seen them run powerheads a little as 3 seconds. Vortech line. Mine are K-7s which are supposed to be controllable.

xcali1985

Hopefully on a good note. I want to start attaching my corals to where they will be. Right now everything is just wedged in place.

rcdude1990

To xcali, your tank has amazing colors!!! Your tank is exactly what i want my tank to look like. Great looking tank

xcali1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude1990 http:///t/390369/water-on-the-floor/20#post_3459686
To xcali, your tank has amazing colors!!! Your tank is exactly what i want my tank to look like. Great looking tank
Thanks, run into a few problems with the 240G had to remove all the coral out the tank its over a friends house. I purchased MarcoRocks and it appears they are leaching something into the tank, as I have a invasion of cyano algae that even Red Slime doesn't seem to be effective against. I may end up pulling the entire rockscape and purchasing new rock.

xcali1985

All corals removed!!!
It appears I am experiences a very nasty diatom bloom that is growing so fast it is creating blankets of algae. Time to wait about a month for it to die off. I wonder if a week of full light 24hrs a day will get it to starve itself.

xcali1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdawg http:///t/390369/water-on-the-floor/20#post_3461131
or a week of no light...
The problem with this is that whatever is leeching into the tank from the rocks will not be consumed by anything and as soon as the lights are turned back on, either it or another maybe worst form of algae will come back.
I think since the fish can care less, that letting it grow light crazy and siphoning it out during water changes will be the best route. I may end up just pulling all the rocks and starting over if I can't get it under control soon.

xcali1985

Im told that if you do a "vinegar burn" with them, basically soaking them in vinegar and water for a few days then doing water changes of 50% every day after a week or two. Trust me when I say that whatever is suggested I wish I had done it.

xcali1985

I was able to reinsert all my corals a couple days ago.
I can honestly say I put my full support behind ROWAPHOS! It works miracles. If you are having algae problems. Hook this up in a reactor, kill the lights for 3 days and let it remove all the phosphates out your tank. Amazing. In 3 days tank was crystal clear.
I waited a week with the lights back on to see if it would return and it hasn't so im back stocking the tank.