water parameters for reef tank

exotics

My ph 8.4
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
cal 435
alkalinity 11.2
I don't drip kawallser because my cal used to be 520 all the time cause I was using oceanic but now I switched salts and it's at 435.So should I now start dripping kawallser since my cal is down now or use kent part 1 part2.Thanks Bill

reefnut

Both limewater and a good 2-part additive work well to maintaining alk/calcium. Good 2-part additives (like B-Ionic) also have trace elements in the mixture where limewater does not. Limewater has to be slowly dripped but it has been known to help reduce phosphate levels in the tank. Limewater can be much cheaper to use, particularly if you have a high calcium/alkalinity demand. The 2-part additives are very simple to use and for the most part are very safe.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages but which one to use is your decision to make...
Your calcium and alkalinity levels are very well balanced so you can start adding which ever you choose as soon as you want. The trickiest part IMO is coming up which what your tank uses on a daily bases and then determine what you need to add on a daily bases to maintain the levels.
For now... plan on testing your water a LOT until you get everything running smoothly.

bonebrake

Reef Nut, should he add anything since his calcium has remained unchanged and it is at 435 ppm? I thought anything above 400 ppm was good and 450 ppm was perfect. Is this wrong?
:notsure:
:joy:

reefnut

Well IF water changes is all that is needed to maintain the calcium and alkalinity, then no he should not add any additives. Most systems that have a lot of corals need more than water changes... but you're right... if it stays where it's at then there is no reason to add anything.