water parameters

kiharaconn

Well we made it through the storm but not without loss. But overall it went well. We ended up using an inverter and the truck to run the pumps and lights. We took your advise and cleaned the filters before turning on the pumps and doing a water change. Then we tested last night and did another water change. I don't have the paperwork with me but the ammonia was slightly high. The ph was high as was the alk. But the calcium was low. The problem I need help with is that the test kit only has the color chart that says its high or low. Can you tell me what are the ideal parameters for all the elements of the water. I know its a simple questions and I did try a search but couldn't find what I need. We are going to start a log to write everything down so we can keep track. Also is it ok for the ph to be high. Everything I see tells what to do if the ph is low. We are going to do another water change tonight just to be sure. Thanks for all your help.

crazy4reefs

glad to hear you made it through the storm ! as you probably know its not good to have any ammonia in the tank so keep doing water changes. are you letting the water your doing the waterchanges with mix well like overnight ? letting it mix well might help keep your levels steady, JMO.
as far as the high ph that can be adjusted with waterchanges.. how many water changes have you done already. i know when i do a waterchange i have to check my ph, calcium and alk levels and adjust. i will list the levels that i was given when i started, if someone disaggres i am sure they will post what they go by..
PH 8.0 to 8.4 optimum- 8.3
ammonia " 0
nitrite " 0
nitrate 0 to 20 " 0
phosphate 0 to .2 " 0
calcium 375 - 450 optimum 400
salinity 1.023 - 1.025 optimum 1.025
KH 8 to 12
check your tank again to make sure there are not any more dead animals in there, that obviously can add to the ammonia. hope this has helped some :)

kiharaconn

Thanks so much for the answer. I'm assuming the ammonia is from die off of some of the live rock. So far nothing has died. But one of the corals is not looking too well. And neither is the shrimp. We did a water change before restarting the filters and pump. Then did a water change last night and this morning. I knew the ammonia and nitrites should be 0 but wasn't sure about the rest. I've been out of the salt water hobby for several years. I'll test everything again tonight. Again thanks so much.

kiharaconn

We did another water change last night and have water working now to change again tonight. Looks like we may lose most of the colt coral. We should be able to frag some pieces off of it though. It was too large anyway. Thanks for all the help.