Water pump question little giant vs. mag 5

jim2766

Is there any benefit over using say a little giant external pump with an approx water flow of 500 gph over say a mag 5 pump that can be used external or submerged with approx the same flow rate? Currently I have a little giant 2-mdq-se pump driving my protein skimmer, and it runs very hot, and is noisy. I have a mag 5 driving my UV steralizer and it is quiet and runs alot coolet. I am using it external as well. Well the little giant costs approx 150, vs the 60-70 for the mag 5. Is there any advantage over either one besides the price?

geoj

Is there any benefit over using say a little giant external pump with an approx water flow of 500 gph over say a mag 5 pump that can be used external or submerged with approx the same flow rate? Currently I have a little giant 2-mdq-se pump driving my protein skimmer, and it runs very hot, and is noisy. I have a mag 5 driving my UV steralizer and it is quiet and runs alot coolet. I am using it external as well. Well the little giant costs approx 150, vs the 60-70 for the mag 5. Is there any advantage over either one besides the price?
A little giant 2-mdq-se pump runs very hot, and is noisy, costs approx $150. A mag 5 is quiet and runs alot cooler $70.
What is the head height on the pumps?

jim2766

14.4 feet for the little giant, 7 feet for the mag 500. this isnt an issue to me, as both would be at the same height.

geoj

Eheim Universal “Hobby” Submersible Water Pump are real good pumps you may want to look at them also.

al mc

The Mag pumps can be used externally but I have seen several of them start to leak over time. If you were to use the mag internally I think you would be fine....but for your application I would go to a '7' with an inline valve so you could regulate the flow.

jim2766

I am asking because I need another pump to drive my chiller, I hear more flow is better but is too much flow non helpful? I was looking at going around 500 gph through the chiller but did not know what benefit there was to the 2 type of pumps, and if a mag 5 or 7 works better, I could switch out the little giant on my skimmer, as the mags are alot less wattage as well.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2766 http:///t/391097/water-pump-question-little-giant-vs-mag-5#post_3466809
I am asking because I need another pump to drive my chiller, I hear more flow is better but is too much flow non helpful? I was looking at going around 500 gph through the chiller but did not know what benefit there was to the 2 type of pumps, and if a mag 5 or 7 works better, I could switch out the little giant on my skimmer, as the mags are alot less wattage as well.
I am no expert on chillers...I know not all are the same. but I was under the impression (at least on mine) it needs the water to flow slowly so it can be cooled. That's why the manufacturer suggested a small pump for it. More flow is helpful for the tank but not the gizmo. Same thing for phoshate reactors, and UV lights...slow flow allows the gizmo to work it's magic.

jim2766

I heard the same thing, until I did some web research yesterday and they were recommending flow for a chiller between 600-1200 gph. Currently I have it running with my main pump and wanted to isolate it to its own at about 500-600 gph. This is why I was asking about the 2 kinds of pumps.

geoj

I have used the mag pumps and I don't really have a complaint they do ware out like the other posts mention but for the money they are not bad pumps. If you want to invest in a better pump I would buy an Eheim Universal.

acrylic51

Mags have been known to leak when run externally, but like anything in this hobby anything can happen.....Little Giants are tested and proven quality pumps IMO.....They are hot, but a Mag may appear cooler, but that Mag is also using your tank water to cool itself....All pumps cool themselves someway, shape or form, so don't let that fool you.....Mags can put a good bit of heat to your tank.....
As far as flow through a chiller it's a little more behind it than slow flow......The chiller manufactures and all good manufacturers just like UV's have a recommended flow rate through the unit. So basically you really need to know what flow rate is acceptable for the chiller. That will vary depending on the size of chiller, but they will specify between " X amount and Y amount......