Water Pump

kirsch66

I need a little advice on which water pump to buy for my skimmer. I was using a RIO 1700 that died yesterday. I had good luck with the RIO, but have heard bad things about them. I recently purchased a MAG DRIVE 700 and use it as the main circulation pump. I'm really pleased with it, but will it be a little over kill to use one on my skimmer?

flatzboy

Originally posted by kirsch66
I need a little advice on which water pump to buy for my skimmer. I was using a RIO 1700 that died yesterday. I had good luck with the RIO, but have heard bad things about them. I recently purchased a MAG DRIVE 700 and use it as the main circulation pump. I'm really pleased with it, but will it be a little over kill to use one on my skimmer?

A lot of people use them on there skimmers you just have to get the right size mag drive to match the gph on your skimmer.:D

kirsch66

I'm not sure what the GPH on my skimmer is. The pump was a RIO 1700 that pumps 642GPH. However, the top of the tube often became clogged. I assume that is because the pump wasn't strong enough. Maybe going to a MAG 700 would do the trick. Is it possible to get too strong of a pump?