Water Quality For Corals?

reefrunner

Other than the obvious things like amonia, nitrites...trates, ph, and calcium levels, what are the most important things to test for in order to keep healthy corals?

maxalmon

Really depends on the type of corals, stony, soft etc...SPS require lots and lots of waterflow and pristine water conditions and high lighting conditions, while some soft corals actually thrive in somewhat of a dirty water condition with minimimum to medium water flow and lower lighting

reefstar22

Thats a very broad question.
Such a broad question, it shows signs that you are not ready for corals. - Before you INVEST your money into them, study them. - Dont get egar and blow money on them...or you'll throw your money into the trash and kill your pets!

reefrunner

Originally Posted by Reefstar22
Thats a very broad question.
Such a broad question, it shows signs that you are not ready for corals. - Before you INVEST your money into them, study them. - Dont get egar and blow money on them...or you'll throw your money into the trash and kill your pets!
Such a vague answer....shows that you probably don't know the answer, or you may have offered some usable advice.
I am asking this question on this site because I am trying to educate myself about the corals before I buy them. Is that not the purpose of this message board?
Thanks for your concern. It is appreciated....but I am here for usable advice.

reefkprz

in the beggining there is a lot of testing for, amm trite and trate, after a while you should almost never have to test ammonia or trite unless something appears to be going wrong. just trate. then the other important tests would be alkalinity, ph, cal, thats all I test weekly. if I have an algae problem I'll check my phosphates too. its good to have almost all the tests on hand just in case, but after a while you kinda get a feel of how things look and you'll cut back on most of your testing. I wouldnt w2aste money on strontium test kits or magnesium, mag you can calculate by subtracting your calcium hardness from your general hardness, and that will give you a close enough number for mag. as for other trace elements if your using a good enbough salt mix and have good water change rituals they are being replenished faster than all but the most insanly stocked tanks can use.
cal, alk, trate, ph IMO are the most important.
forgot specific gravity also.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by reefrunner
Such a vague answer....shows that you probably don't know the answer, or you may have offered some usable advice.
I am asking this question on this site because I am trying to educate myself about the corals before I buy them. Is that not the purpose of this message board?
Thanks for your concern. It is appreciated....but I am here for usable advice.
I'm glad you posted this before I did. Thank God this is not a normal response on this forum. I have come along way by asking and reading on this board and other should feel as welcome to.
Good luck with your new corals.

reefrunner

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
in the beggining there is a lot of testing for, amm trite and trate, after a while you should almost never have to test ammonia or trite unless something appears to be going wrong. just trate. then the other important tests would be alkalinity, ph, cal, thats all I test weekly. if I have an algae problem I'll check my phosphates too. its good to have almost all the tests on hand just in case, but after a while you kinda get a feel of how things look and you'll cut back on most of your testing. I wouldnt w2aste money on strontium test kits or magnesium, mag you can calculate by subtracting your calcium hardness from your general hardness, and that will give you a close enough number for mag. as for other trace elements if your using a good enbough salt mix and have good water change rituals they are being replenished faster than all but the most insanly stocked tanks can use.
cal, alk, trate, ph IMO are the most important.
forgot specific gravity also.
Aren't PH and alk kind of the same thing? I thought alk level was directly affected by ph.

reefrunner

Originally Posted by Snaredrum
I'm glad you posted this before I did. Thank God this is not a normal response on this forum. I have come along way by asking and reading on this board and other should feel as welcome to.
Good luck with your new corals.

Thanks.
Unfortunately, I didn't find this forum until after I started the hobby....but I've found it to be invaluable! It is an awesome resource for rookies like me.

reefkprz

PH and alk go hand in hand but they definatly are not the same, ph measures acidity or base, alk measures carbonate alkalinity (buffering capacity) of your water (the ability to maintain a stable PH). KH (carbonate hardness or alkalinity) stabilizes PH values.

reefkprz

maybe BangGuy will chime in and save me from a poor explination, he has a greater grasp, of the chemical side of this than I do.

reefrunner

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
PH and alk go hand in hand but they definatly are not the same, ph measures acidity or base, alk measures carbonate alkalinity (buffering capacity) of your water (the ability to maintain a stable PH). KH (carbonate hardness or alkalinity) stabilizes PH values.
So if I purchase a test kit for alk...what is a good brand, and what are acceptable levels?

rcbruce

Originally Posted by reefrunner
So if I purchase a test kit for alk...what is a good brand, and what are acceptable levels?
Opinions opinions. sigh!
I have tested for the mainstays for 2 years, ph, alk, cal, trates. I have to say I was really shocked when I bought a test for magnesium. OMG was mine low. I use R/O water. Now I know why I was spending a fortune in additives. I can't count on math averages like someone mentioned earlier. That may be good for advanced aquarists, but for us short time in the hobby folks, test kits are a sure thing.
I've found Tetra kits good value for the money. I recently switched to Salifert, expensive but the best IMO.