Water quality okay?

swnewb

Tank is cycled and I am looking foward to my first inhabitants. I would like to double check to make sure my levels were alright, and if anything is lacking, could you please offer advice on fixing?
Temp - 79
Sal - 1.025
Amon. - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
Cal. - 500+
Alk - 4
KH - 11.2

mbrands

It all looks good. I don't test for cal, alk or KH yet since I have FOWLR. You'll be fine with those numbers to add some cleaners.
Congrats on being patient and waiting for the end of the cycle. :D

emoezekiel

your calcium should be around the 400s range.
Calcium - add some "Epsom" salt from your grocery salt...yeah the ones that you use on tired feet. Drop atleast a teaspoon ones a week.

reefnut

Magnesium (Epsom Salt) should be tested for before adding. Typically water changes will maintain your mag levels so adding more would be a bad idea without testing. Salifert makes a really good test kit...
Always TEST before you add anything.

swnewb

Originally posted by ReefNut
Your calcium is a bit high. Are you adding calcium?? What kind of salt are you using??

Not adding anything, using Oceanic salt mix. I used a salifert test for calcium. I thought it was a bit high too, but didn't know for sure. Will this have any negative effects on my tank and livestock?
What will Epson salt do for the water?
Thanks for the help.
~Chad~

jacknjill

ahh, oceanic. its been known to make some of your levels go off the charts. calcium is one of them