WATER QUESTION PLEASE ADVISE

joelle

Hi all:
IO was wondering which method you think is better buying the water from LSF or instant ocean?

meowzer

IMO it would be better to have your own ro/di unit, and mix your own water at home
OH...and I also use Instant Ocean salt

slice

You mean whether to buy pre-mixed from the LFS or mix it yourself?
Chances are your LFS uses IO to make their water.
Mine does and I currently buy pre-mixed from them. I will mix my own once I buy my own RO/DI unit next year.

joelle

ok so basically if i use instant ocean i still have to get the R/o system if i dont have that its better to use the premixed from LFS?
I just moved my tank that was set up for a year and now i am getting water from a new LFS and not sure if it is good or not i will test but thought it might be easier to just add tap and instant ocean and prime????

meowzer

I would not use tap...IMO you are just asking for algae issues
BUT I also would tst the lfs water before I let it touch any of my tanks.....and DO look into an ro/di....in the long run they are cheaper....and MUCH MUCH more convenient
YOU CAN...buy ro water from Walmart and still mix it at home too for now

markc212

In terms of RO/DI units, is there consensus regarding what makes a unit good or bad? I've been reading through past posts, and it sounds like the combination of RO and DI makes a lot of sense. Price seems to range anywhere from $150 to $400. Besides throughput, what else should I be looking for in a unit? And, has the technology changed in the last few years? It feels like aquarium technology evolves quickly and I'm afraid I'll end up buying based on old information (even if it's only a couple of years old).
Recommendations for a 70 gallon FOWLR tank would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Newbie Mark

deejeff442

just google ro/di i bought a 5 stage and extra cartridges from the start spent $180.once you get it going you will not miss a water change since its at home.before i had one i would slack on water changes because i didn't feel like going to the lfs.but i have a few tanks and would have to buy 60 gallons at a time.i use instant ocean.
oh yea i just got a new ro/di since i left my old one outside overnight and it froze and pretty much blew up.uh dont do this ,stupid me

mjm889

i use instant ocean with instant ocean water conditioner to remove the chemicals out of it. i have been doing it for years and havent had any probelms, but our local city water is one of the best in the nation