water question

S

sonicboom1

Filling up a 30 gallon tank for the first time what do you recommend? I know not tap water and at walmart they have the machine to fill up those huge jugs, what kind of water is that? or buy well i dunno...
what should i do? :help:

airforceb2

You want RO/DI water in your tank. The macine in Walmart is RO/DI so you could use that no problem. You can also buy your own RO/DI unit and save money in the long run. It is up to you, just make sure you use the best filtered water you can get your hands on.

S

sonicboom1

yeah i saw the machine on this site for $100 I would look into that in the future...now im tight on cash setting this bad boy up haha!!
does anyone have a guesstimate on the prices the walmart machine charges?

mrandmrst

Those dispeners usaually charge 25 cents a gallon. Make sure you check the date on the maintenance chart on the machine. Sometimes they don't clean and change the filters often (the local news ran a story a while ago). Just an FYI

S

sonicboom1

ahh so the filters might be bad so you really wouldnt be paying for what you are getting basically..ill look inot that, what about buying water in the gallon jugs, like ice mountain and such?

airforceb2

That is Distilled water. It works about the same. It just has a different purification process. A lot of people buy that for their tanks. You can also look at your LFS and see if they have an RO/DI unit and would be willing to filter you some water on the spot. Just make sure to watch them filter the water so they don't give you tap or tank water.

tangey

I have been using tap water on my tank for almost 1 year now and have never lost a fish. Just something to think about.

birdy

Anyone using RO/DI water either your own unit or the LFS or grocery store water should invest in a very inexpensive( $25) tool called a TDS meter, it will read the Total Dissolved solids in your water, for a reef tank these should be as close to 0 as possible.