Water Question

prk543

I've used distilled water from the grocery store in my tank, and i haven't had any problems. Though i don't know about you, but distilled water is $0.99/gal at the stores here, its 0.64/gal at Walmart, which is a lot cheaper in the long run

1knight164

Yes. You can also use the machines that refill 1 gal (25 cents) and 5 gal, but test it first. Best to get your own RO/DI unit, though. Cheaper in the long run and you know it's quality water.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by Michaud65
Can you buy Distilled water from the grocery store and use it in your tank?

yes, is alot better than Tap, Also they sell other filter water jugs, look at the label they're usually filter with RO.(reverse Osmosis)

rbaldino

If you're talking about the distilled water they sell in jugs, I'd skip it. I looked on the label of one and it said it came from a "municipal" source, which means tap water. Best to get the water you have to fill yourself from a dispenser. The one at my local Safeway sells water that goes through carbon and UV filtration, as well as an RO unit. That water is 41 cents a gallon for me.

aztec reef

yeah that's why it's better than Tap but not as good as the other jugs(not distilled) that are run through RO also.

michaud65

Originally Posted by rbaldino
If you're talking about the distilled water they sell in jugs, I'd skip it. I looked on the label of one and it said it came from a "municipal" source, which means tap water. Best to get the water you have to fill yourself from a dispenser. The one at my local Safeway sells water that goes through carbon and UV filtration, as well as an RO unit. That water is 41 cents a gallon for me.
I am sure there are a lot of places that use Municipal water but I know companies like Poland Spring use actual spring water. The only question I have though is that Distilled water has a pH of about 5.5-6.0. Does adding Distilled water cause a low in the tank pH and can it take a while to come back up or is it just a subtle change and the live rock buffers it before it drops too low? Thanks for all your replies this far...

aztec reef

Don't worry about that, even plain ro/di comes out at 7.0 ph don't worry about buffering your newly made water. just add the salt and it should be closer to tank's level.