water surface is sandy-oily

peasly1

how can I get rid of this,its been this way a little while.now though it seems where the ph is aimed at the surface to create ripples,it is also pushing the sand or whatever it is back into the tank and its floating everywhere..filtration I have is 120-150lbs lr,fuval 103 just to run carbon, 2 ph w/plastic like cup that holds foam pads to catch dirt in water which are clean,and a cheap berlin skimmer.I used to keep a fuval 404 on just to filter the water but it made no difference..tank is a 125 gal. any input helpful thanx..

mr . salty

The oil slick is most likly from dissolved organic in the water and would be quickly cleared upby a GOOD skimmer...This will also help clear the cloudy water...It also sounds like your tank needs a more powerfull mechanical filteration setup.That 103 and the powerheads just don't seem to be enough for that 125...My tank is about the same as yours,but I am running 1300GPH through a sump with prefilter and bio balls.I also have a MONSTER 3 foot tall skimmer,refugium,and UV and have never had less than crystal clear water..Even without a water change for well over a year...My point being,You cant over filter a tank,,But not enough filteration will cause alot of trouble...ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE FISH

mpgt

I hear Fluval makes an intake tube with a surface skimmer. If you use the venturi on one of the powerheads, the bubbles breaking the water surface should effectively clean the scum off the surface. I've seen several different ways of skimming the surface.

aqua blue

I had the same problem with coating building up on the water surface of my tank. It was clear where the power filter outflow was rippling the water surface but was still present in other areas on the surface. I am new to this hobby and I have not added a protien skimmer yet, but I did add the Aqua Clear surface skimmer intake attachment to my existing filter. It has helped clear the surface build up much better in my tank. It cost about $10.
:)