Water temp in Hawaii

szybowski

I've been keeping tropical fish and tropical birds for some time now and for years I kept there air or water temp at a constent level for fear they would surely perish. But after ten years of commercial bird farming I found out that many species of birds when healthy and and with lots of room and slow acclimitation they could live in a very large range of temps.
I noticed that in Hawaii (and I would expect this applies to many or most other reefs) there are constant mixing of different temps in the shallows and in many area fresh cold water coming up through the lava sea bed. Also going from the surface to just 7 fathoms or 42 feet the temp can easily change over ten degrees F. With most if not all the fished swimming back and forth between those areas.
Now I realise that many fish can't handle this in a home aquarium since they for the most part don't have the health of a wild fish but I thought it was a intesting observation.

szybowski

The rainy season is definatly under way but it's warm and when the sun comes out it's time to snorkel tell you burn your bum.