Water temp major issue cause of the storm

dougedoug

Right now we have no power and I am running my tank off a generator since Sunday. I have been able to keep my tank running but the temp is getting hard to manage. Usually it is around 78 but its down to 73 now because there is no heat in the house. I have a warmer and that is trying its best. Any ideas on how I can get my water temp up? I have heard about placing sealed containers in the tank with very hot water. Please advise.
200 Gallon Fish only salt water tank.

snakeblitz33

tape some of those emergency blankets around the tank, all the way around. Try to insulate it as much as possible. Tape some hand warmers to the underneath of the tank,... you could try the sides as well (before you put the emergency blankets around it)
Hot water won't have a long lasting effect and may even cause major temp swings that would be harder on your animals than if you do something like the hand warmers.
Possibly unplug a couple of powerheads and plug in a heater? All you need to run right now is your return pump and a heater anyways... If you don't have a sump then plugging in your heater and your filter that is closest to your heater would probably help a lot.
Don't put hand warmers inside a bag and float it - they need a lot of oxygen for the iron to oxidize.

dougedoug

Thanks dude for the advice.
The generator can power the entire setup no problem. I am going to look for a space heater that I can add some more temperature to the room. I think that will improve it enough. I just don't want any big swings in temp so I will make sure the header is something I can maintain.

florida joe

The ambient room temp is your major concern. If you can divert some of the tank system power to space heaters for the room IMO you will be better served

dougedoug

Thanks for the info guys. I got a space heater running close to the tank and I have my water at around 73 right now. I expect to be running this for another week. In the case that I do run out of gas. Can the fish make it at 60-65? I know its important I keep the same water temp and not heat and cool the water all the time.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougedoug http:///t/393388/water-temp-major-issue-cause-of-the-storm#post_3499395
Thanks for the info guys. I got a space heater running close to the tank and I have my water at around 73 right now. I expect to be running this for another week. In the case that I do run out of gas. Can the fish make it at 60-65? I know its important I keep the same water temp and not heat and cool the water all the time.
To me, that would be pushing it a little bit.
If you suspect that you are going to run out of gas, go buy some before that happens.
:D
I hope that everything else is ok post-storm...

dougedoug

Gas lines are still super crazy here. I lucked out and my LFS who does all my water changes has picked up my fish until I get power back. Gas lines are a few hours and then they run out of gas. Cannot even get oil for oil change on a generator. Just lucky he has power.