Water temp problems

louis

Started my 55 gal tank in december. I live down in miami and the heat has begun. Unfortunately, the tank is located in the warmer room in my home. As i got home from work this afternoon i realized that the temp read 84. I
Immediately started loooking online for help, saw some chillers but theyre are really expensive. please help

brokendeck

I think the only thing to do in this case would be to get a chiller. Im new to saltwater, but ive never heard anyone say or talk ab something to help with temp besides a chiller.

errattiq

they sell clip on fans specifically made for cooling aquarium water. you can find them on E-bay in a bunch of sizes. just type in aquarium cooling fan or something. The only trade off is you'll be dealing with a faster evaporation rate. Let us know how it goes.

ryancw01

Turn your thermostat down lower and your heater up. You dont want any temperature swings of over 2 degrees during the day ideally. If you cannot afford a chiller then get a fan and put over the top so it blows accross the water and will make the warmer water evaporate faster. I would try to find one on craigs list or e baye if you cannot afford a new one. I did that and just made sure I got the best one I could afford. I have had the same one for 3 years now with now problems. One less thing to worry about is always good.

flower

This is a repeat of another thread under discussion. The following is my opinion, from that discussion....
all you do need to do is get two small fans that will fit into the canopy, one in and one out.
The temperature fluctuating is not really a problem, the ocean may have very stable SG and PH levels but the temperature changes all the time in nature. 90 at a prolonged temp may (even experts are not sure) cause a problem. 82 - 86 is not so horrible.
Your creatures are most likely very happy right now. Most hobbyists keep the temps at 76-78 to slow everything down. It gives them time to fix algae blooms and the like, because the warmer temps allow things to grow much quicker.
The fish really like the higher heat, that's why when you have a sick fish it helps to raise the temperature, it eases stress and makes it more the way they like it, helping their immunity system.
I saw a TV program that showed the deep ocean with an underground volcano, the coral was beautiful...It was really HOT, they couldn't get to close while filming.