Water Temp

shrimpy

is a degree or two above the 'green zone' enough to kill invertebrates? I have a 14g bio-cube since January and I consistently have snails, crabs, brittle starfish, and hermits die within a week or two. The fish have survived. I have been back and forth with my local marine store and thet ahve no explanation..but said to check the temp.......so I bought a thermometer and it was reading 82-83 degrees...........is that enough? I recently had a brittle, good size......was told they are hardy............had it about a week and came back from a 2 night trip to find him in pieces and decaying.
this issue is driving me crazy.

natclanwy

78-83deg is fine its best if the temp doesn't flucuate much but a couple degrees over the course of the day won't hurt.
Stars are very sensitive to changes in water parameters and need to be accilimated very slowly, how did you acclimate the star?
What is your SG (salinity) low SG is possible problem, inverts don't tolerate low SG well.

shrimpy

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/3035091
78-83deg is fine its best if the temp doesn't flucuate much but a couple degrees over the course of the day won't hurt.
Stars are very sensitive to changes in water parameters and need to be accilimated very slowly, how did you acclimate the star?
What is your SG (salinity) low SG is possible problem, inverts don't tolerate low SG well.
salinity is good.......1.0222 or 1.222......in the proper zone on the hydrometer and confirmed by the marine store. All chemicals in order. Nobody can solve this ongoing mystery.

natclanwy

Originally Posted by Shrimpy
http:///forum/post/3035147
salinity is good.......1.0222 or 1.222......in the proper zone on the hydrometer and confirmed by the marine store. All chemicals in order. Nobody can solve this ongoing mystery.
1.022 is too low for inverts, its fine for a fish only tank but inverts don't do well with SG less than 1.025-1.026.

shrimpy

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/3035180
1.022 is too low for inverts, its fine for a fish only tank but inverts don't do well with SG less than 1.025-1.026.
but the safe zone on the hydromerer stops at 1.023...........that numner sounds too salty for fish.......

natclanwy

If you hydrometer is the floating needle type I would recommend throwing the hydrometer away they are very unreliable and inaccurate. I would get a refractometer (best) or at least a floating hydrometer (last resort). I also recommend picking up a book and doing some research on keeping saltwater fish and inverts. The average salinity found in the ocean near coral reefs is 1.025-1.027 far higher than 1.023 or 1.022 the recommended salinity for an aquarium is 1.026, fish can tolerate hyposaline (low salt) water fairly well but inverts cannot.

hlcroghan

Fish are different than inverts. I know what you mean about the safe zone.....it doesn't count for inverts. It needs to be about 1.025-26. I also use a hydrometer and always check in 3 times to get the average reading. I will buy a refractometer when I get some extra cash but for now it's what I have so take it from us, definitely raise that salinity!! It will not hurt the fish and tell your LFS people they don't know what they are doing and to give you some store credit for faulty advice......lol
And remember...... raise the salinity slowly!! 1/100th per day is best, so it should take about 3 days to get to the proper reading.
Lower salinity can actually be good for fish as it reduces outbreaks of parasites if you are unlucky enough to have it in your tank so it's okay for FOWLR but 1.025 is proper for saltwater life.

shrimpy

wow.......I may be seeing the light. I can tell you that my salinity as mostly hung around the lower end of the safe zone, and not the higher end. I'm shocked a marine store like the one I use would miss so badly on this issue.......I have been pestering them for solutions.
Well, the old saying goes...where there is smoke, there is fire.........too many opinions tell me to go higher.....so higher it is.
I had the hydrometer calibrated at the marine store....and in subsequent water tests done at the store......by home readings (with the adjustment of .004 that mins is off) are spot on with their refractometer results.
I thank you for the advice...and will update you in the coming weeks.

shrimpy

so when I do a water change.........in a 14 gallon......to raise the salt........how much of that tank needs to be changed out with salt water alone? I am used to worrying about the salinity being too high and mix fresh water in..............

nordy

I would suggest changing a couple of gallons out, with your replacement water being higher in salinity than the tank itself, say a couple of gallons @ 1.030. Check your readings after that has had a chance to thoroughly mix with your tank water and if it's still low, you can add properly mixed SW as make up, instead of FW and that will also slowly and safely raise your salinity, keeping in mind to check after each addition to make sure you don't overshoot.