Water temp??

steve102571

I know that stability is generally more important than a specific temp from 72-80, but what should I be shooting for. My 750 has been up and running since Jan and my temps have always been 76.1 (day) and 75.6 (night). It has been progesssively getting warmer outside and I just began noticing that the "fresh" air from my basement has been getting warmer as well. Although my house is a constant 73, the air comming from the basmeent to the Aquarium room is up to 73, as well. Over the past (4) 90+ degree days, my water temp has been 77.8-78.4; night/day Is this too hot? Should I think about a chiller or simply place a small fan in the room to circulate cooler air across the egg crate top?

nicetry

Those temps are fine. My tank runs between 79-81 all the time. As long as you have adequate surface agitation for good gas exchange, and, as you mentiioned, no rapid/drastic temp swings, you're in good shape.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by nicetry
http:///forum/post/3069738
Those temps are fine. My tank runs between 79-81 all the time. As long as you have adequate surface agitation for good gas exchange, and, as you mentiioned, no rapid/drastic temp swings, you're in good shape.
Yeah, tropical reefs get much warmer than your temps.

dlee

what is generally regarded as the highest and lowest temp that you should allow your reef to go?
I would say 84 and 76.

salt210

dlee
I could agree with those numbers as long as it is not drastic as already mentioned above

srfisher17

Originally Posted by dlee
http:///forum/post/3069937
what is generally regarded as the highest and lowest temp that you should allow your reef to go?
I would say 84 and 76.
That would be a very conservative range; especially on the upper limit.

aquaknight

The problem with higher then normal temps, are the side effects. Sure, in the ocean, many of the fish we keep will see temperatures well above the typically 80° or so we keep our tanks at.
The thing is in the ocean, the other parameters besides temp., Dissolved Oxygen, and pH, mainly, will stay the same. In your tank, a closed system with very limited capacity, however, these can change just as fast as the temp. So it's far from just the temperature to worry about, usually something else besides warm water will kill your fish.