Water Testing

:help: I wonder what needs to be tested regularly. The 2 test kits that I purchased (Saltwater Master by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals and Reef Lab by Red Sea Parmaceuticals) do not have a test for some of the things mentioned here on this board. For example, neither tests for alkalinity, one doesn't test for nitrite and the other doesn't test for phospate nor calcium. I feel as if I have been struggling for years and have not even had the basic test kits to be telling me the important things that I need to know. I don't have a clue what my alkalinity is. I tried to get a reading using my pool kit; but, could never get it to register. It is really high. I also can not get an accurate reading on my calcium. It tests in the range above 460 that does not register on my kit. I am so troubled because I read on this board that everyone can get the coralline algae to grow if they have rocks with it on it and snails with it on their shells in order to help seed it in the aquarium. Can anyone offer me a suggestion? I have tested all my water parameters besides those previously mentioned. Everything is reading as it should and the tank water is crystal clear.

overanalyzer

corraline is a tough subject - do a search for Kipass or Kip and Corraline in the reef section - it took him forever to get his coraline to grow.
I regularly test for:
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
PH
Calcium
Alk/dkh
those basic kits are nice but I love the saliferttest kits they sell here - work great and give good reliable readings.....
After your tank settles then I just test for PH,Calcium and Alk/Dkh
If you dose anything (like magnesium or strontium) then you should also test for them ....

What do I do for the alkalinity that I can not determine because it is too high? The same thing for my calcium? The results do not read on neither test because they are above the measurable limits.

overanalyzer

uhm I would suggest buying a test that is meant for fish tanks and not one for your pool. If you are getting really high readings still then I would highly suggest taking a water sample to the local fish store and going from there.

nudibranch

You should be testing with aquaiurm test kits. What you need in a pool vs what you need in a tank are completely different. Salifert (like overanalyzer suggested) is going to be your best option for test kits. They are extremly accurate and if I'm not mistaken they use lab grade chemicals. Regardless, IMO their accuracy is unmatched.

R

reverai

Yes, a good saltwater test that should have just about everything you need, shouldn't cost you more than $25 online and it will last you for years. You should check the saltwater fish web site for a price as I'd guess they would a good price.
Generally when it comes to coralline algae one needs to have high levels of calcium. I wouldn't do anything until you know just what your calcium levels might be. PH is is important too. They need to be in the middle range..say 8.2. 8.4. coralline like moderate flow and lights. Lights that are to bright will keep coralline from growing.
Using tap water in saltwater gets in the way of coralline growing too. And where did you get your live rock from? If your live rock was dead base rock, it could be, your tank never had coralline spores to start off with and the conditions in your tank haven't been stable for the one or two coralline spores in your tank from your live sand to take off. You might see of you could a small piece of live rock that has some coralline on it and see how it does.
In any case, your first step would be a good test kit to see what your water parms are at!
Steve