water too hot! help!!!!

yimmy

Take some ziploc bags, put in some ice cubes and let the bags float. That happened to me all the time and I now bought a fan.

robpsca

Hey fishboy.
we have our tank in hyposalinity treatment right now and our time is 82 degrees constant
is anything different bout your tank? new lights? leave them on longer?
what we do is remove the top glass to allow heat to escape maybe try turning ur heater down a notch.

jhebi

True 82 is not bad, but best would be 80. Unless it gets hotter, I would suggest a fan to try to keep up the temp....or ice bags

fishboy091

Originally Posted by robPSca
Hey fishboy.
we have our tank in hyposalinity treatment right now and our time is 82 degrees constant
is anything different bout your tank? new lights? leave them on longer?
what we do is remove the top glass to allow heat to escape maybe try turning ur heater down a notch.
we dont have anything in the tank except live rock. i took the glass off, no heaters, and i was gone all weekend so the lights werent on. usually its about 76-78 or so. i dont know what the problem is. i got a new pump and it gets hot under my tank inside the stand. ill try the ziploc thing, thanks.

scubadoo

82 is not a problem as long as you have plenty water movement. Set your heater at 82 and forget the zip lock bags with ice and fans.

jacknjill

just to let you know, 82 is a great temp for your tank. i keep mine at a toasty 81 degrees, depending on the weather (room temp), but there are people who keep their tanks even higher! its really no big deal. the trick is to make sure your temp isnt fluctuating and taking big leaps, like from 75 to 82 throughout the day

fishboy091

Originally Posted by milomlo
I keep my tank from 82-84 with no problems at all
a while back i talked to you about what lfs you went to and you said you went to village tropicals, but i cant remember where you got your lr from. i just got mine from city pets and i think you got yours from there but im not sure. if so is it fiji? how do you like it?

swlover

I'm new here, but I think if temps are going up without an aqu. heater-then set your inside/room temp down. My small aquarium used to get really warm when we had the heat up high in winter-and my tank was no where near the heater, same with cold-if you have the room temp down, like air conditioning in the summer-your small tank will chill down in no time. I never ran an aquarium heater in summer, with FW. warm or cold air circulates in the room (especially if you have a ceiling fan) and your filter/pump sucks in air from the room so it is possiable thats where the warmer temps are coming from. If it you didn't have the heat on in your house then seems like it might be the pump, what else could it be? Eliminate the possabilities you will find the answer.

milomlo

Originally Posted by fishboy091
a while back i talked to you about what lfs you went to and you said you went to village tropicals, but i cant remember where you got your lr from. i just got mine from city pets and i think you got yours from there but im not sure. if so is it fiji? how do you like it?

Yes I shop at Village Tropical for the most part. I also shop at Aquarium World but they are a tad high on the prices. :scared:
I did get my LR at City Pets (on Bellaire I think that is the name of it). I do not know what kind of rock it is, but it actually came from one of their established tanks. They had just moved the rock to their Cured tank. I happened to get there in time to get it
before someone else did.
I really like it. It has lots of coraline algae and lots of hitchickers. I even got some sort of crab, but I took it out cause it did not look reef safe. Got lots of worms and featherdusters, even some zoos are coming out. :jumping:
I got my base rock at Aquarium World. It is already getting the coraline algae on it as well.

fishboy091

milomlo, do you know of anybody that will come take a look at my tank and try to fix it? the hoses coming from the pump are making wierd noises.

az

The oceans have a greater flux in temps then what you guys are talking about. So unless you hit into the high to mid 80's I would not worry alot. If you have a sump use a small fan if needed to blow into the sump and it will cool it down. If setup properly with a thermometer of the right type will alow your fan to come on when needed and off when not.

milomlo

milomlo, do you know of anybody that will come take a look at my tank and try to fix it? the hoses coming from the pump are making wierd noises.
You could contact any of those stores and see what they say. Some of them will come out and actually set up a tank. I do know of one store that would for sure, but I won't recommend it, they guy is a total idiot. I have the number to Village Tropical if you need it.
Also if you look on Marsh (the site I gave you the last time we talked) there is a listing of all the local stores on there. You can go down the list and see if someone would come out. I am just about positive that one of those stores would come and help you or at least trouble shoot with you. Email me if you need that site again.

merredeth

i just got home from and my water is 82 degrees. what should i do to bring the temp down?
I don't know how big your tank is, but I freeze 2 liter soda bottles with R/O water at the proper salinity and pop them in the tank if it gets too hot in the summer. I have over 30 windows in hy house so the heat can get rather intense if I don't keep the A/C on constantly.
The reason I treat the water with salt and use the R/O water, is just in case one accidentally splits I haven't added well water since well water isn't good for any tank.
Just a suggestion that has worked well for me.
Denise M.

fishboy091

Originally Posted by milomlo
You could contact any of those stores and see what they say. Some of them will come out and actually set up a tank. I do know of one store that would for sure, but I won't recommend it, they guy is a total idiot. I have the number to Village Tropical if you need it.
Also if you look on Marsh (the site I gave you the last time we talked) there is a listing of all the local stores on there. You can go down the list and see if someone would come out. I am just about positive that one of those stores would come and help you or at least trouble shoot with you. Email me if you need that site again.

i forgot your email. i thought i had it written down.