water top off

tylerfear

when adding new water to my tank should i mix salt into the new water or just dump it into the tank? maybe add salt to the tank? thanks for the help
tyler

teen

are u talking bout during water change, or top off due to evaporation? ur never supposed to add salt to ur tank, always pre mix it and let it age a day or two. if ur topping off water due to evaporation, then u should only be adding fresh, di or ro water. if ur adding salt water as ur top off water, ur just adding more salt and raising ur salinity, because water is loss during evaporation, not the salt. if ur talking bout water for water changes, get like a new 5 gallon bucket, then add salt to di or ro water, and mix it, test with refractometer or hydrometer, and let it age a day or two.

mwaraxa

The key is to keep an eye on your salinity. What i mean by that is . . . For what ever reason my salinity doesn't really change much from evaporation. I'm sure i can thank my glass top for that. So when i do my top off's i just add my regular pre-mixed water. Just test your salinity before ya top it off and if it's high, then add regular RO water. If it's wehre it should be, then add the pre-mixed water with the correct salinity.