Water wars

miel

:notsure: I have a problem with Alkilinity, with my tap water, its usually off the testing charts. It also has a very high PH which leads to precipitation of calcium. (I'm so proud to say I learned it all here on the boards)
Now I am trying to determine if I should get a RO unit or a Distiller. I should mention we do have a water softner in the house. I tested some local RO water and found the Alk still high. Is distilled water equally as good, or better, or not as good as RO? I can't seem to get a straight answer from people I talk to so I'm counting on the board. What say you???

sergeant

I have read hundreds of this posts and 99% of them recomend RODI vs any other type of water. I use RO only and it works great for me. Filter tap water created a monster called cyanobacteria in my tank and it wasnt easy to get ridd of it.

B

big911dog

I HIGHLY recommend RODI water. a good six stage 100 gal per day unit can be bought new for about $160 at the most famous major auction web site..HINT HINT....

montidanae

Ro/DI water is the way to go! it pays foritself in the first month or two, i couldnt go back to Tap even if i had a gun to my head (well then maybe :D )

miel

:notsure: But what is the difference between distilled and RO?
I checked the ALK level in both, and the distilled is very low but the RO is very high. Which is worse high or low? Can't I use a buffer to bring up the ALK? How do you lower the ALK level if its to high? confused as hell:rolleyes:

B

big911dog

The little elves in my RODI filter said to just trust them and they'll keep making my nice fish water...

mburnickas

distilled is poor. I used it before Ro/DI and distilled water is just tap water distilled. Plus you do not know what process they used to distilled.
I thought RO/DI was Bs but nope, it is easier to control the water param's.

zap800

you know if you dont want to pay for a ro unit right away there is a culligan water outlet at my walmart and i get my 5 gallon filled for 1.65. you might want to check out your local walmart