Water

willie_6

I was told by LFS to avoid tap water at all cost. I was told to buy Distiled. Is tap water that bad? There are chemical to treat everything from ph to nitrates, etc. Can't I go with tap and chemically treat it?

willie_6

ugggghhhhh....so this would mean that everytime I need to add water it would have to be store bought distilled???

bigarn

Originally posted by Willie_6
ugggghhhhh....so this would mean that everytime I need to add water it would have to be store bought distilled???

That or invest in an RO unit. It'll save you money in the long run. :D

traib

Best deal on an RO-DI unit is the Typhon III. It comes with all the extras included in the price e.g. TDS meter, flush valve, etc.
Go to airwaterice.com. Their service people are great too.

fishphreak

I think of it this way.
There is risk involved with any SW tank. So why add to that risk by using tap water. Using RO water is one of the cheapest and easiest things you can do to benefit your tank.
Besides it will eventally cost more in the long run to treat your tap water than to make the RO water yourself or to even buy the RO water and it is better for your tank.
I have also heard, but it may just be a rumor, I don't know. That distilled water may contain copper. Some places still use copper pipes and if they do you could get copper in your water do to leaching of the pipes.
But like I said, I don't know for sure.
Has anyone else heard this, is there any truth to it?
Jessica

willie_6

Put this under the depends on who you ask file. The LFS today told me to avoid Distilled, since it lacks any nutrients and bacteria. He suggested either tap water (treated ofcourse). Or a RO system. Wouldn't you think when you are dealing with chemistry and biology, this would be down to a science? Oh well, back to the drawing board.

willie_6

UPDATE!! I went to my local Wal Mart last night and they sell RO water for $.33 a gallon!! I don't know if all Wal Marts sell it, but it's worth looking into.

fishphreak

I couldn't find it at the wal-mart near us. But my LFS store sells it for 50 cents per gallon.
Depending on your tank size you may want to get a unit. That is what I will have to get for my 75 because I just don't have a way to transport that much water.
Glad to hear you found the water.
Jessica

willie_6

Originally posted by FishPhreak
I couldn't find it at the wal-mart near us. But my LFS store sells it for 50 cents per gallon.
Depending on your tank size you may want to get a unit. That is what I will have to get for my 75 because I just don't have a way to transport that much water.
Glad to hear you found the water.
Jessica

Do you have an RO unit, or did you buy your water?

fishphreak

I am buying the water for my 29 right now but I am ordering a Typhoon III in the next few weeks because I will not have a way to transport that much water and I like to make sure I have plenty on hand in case of an emergency.
The Typhoon III I am getting from airwaterice.com is $199
and it is a 75GPD (gallons per day) RO/DI unit.
It pretty comes with an auto shut off valve, flush valve, and TDS meter....all I need is an adaptor and a float kit.
It isn't a bad deal and I believe it has a 3 year warranty on the membrane.
Oh, one other thing...it costs less that buying the ro water.
I called the water company and they told me they only charge $1.92 for a thousand gallons of water!
So it should hardly effect your water bill at all.
Jessica