Wattage for MH?

dacia

I am starting a new 55 gallon reef, and I have found a fixture that includes one MH bulb with PC lights that I might use. I can get either a 5500K, 6500K, or 10K MH bulb (whichever one I pick would be 175W). Which one is best?

I would go with the 10K.
But to be honest, if ya got a 55 gal long ya gonna need 2 bulbs, one for each side. DONT PUT THE SINGLE bulb over the plastic brace in the middle of your tank. It might melt it.
In my 55 long, i had 2 175 watt 10k's, one on each side, and loved it. pletty of light.
HTH

dacia

OK everyone, I have narrowed it down to 4 different light fixtures. Please let me know which one sounds like it would be the best for what I am planning. I want a 55 gallon reef tank with softies, LPS, and anemones with no SPS corals at all. Here are my choices:
1. Orbit HP 36" 4x96W PC with 2 daylights, 2 actinics, and 3 lunar lights
2. Aqualight Advanced 36" 2x150W 20K HQI MH bulbs
3. Captive Sun 36" 2x175W 10K MH with 2x96W VHO actinics
4. Hamilton 36" 2x175W 10K MH with 2x96W PC actinics
Any advice you have is appreciated. Please let me know your experience with any similar fixtures to the ones listed. Thanks!

reefiness

I would say number 4 because the 2 175 watts are good and i like pcs over vhos. because pcs let out more light with a lower wattage.

dacia

Some 55 gallon tanks are actually only 36" long because they are a couple of inches wider than typical tanks. However, I found out that I indeed have a 48" tank (it's actually at my ex-boyfriend's house, and coming home with me soon...)
I have decided on a Hamilton 48" fixture that comes with 2x175W 10K MH bulbs and 2x96W actinic PC bulbs. I still want some lunar lights, but I suppose I'll just get couple separate from the fixture noted above. Interesting how you guys helped me settle on the most expensive fixture I found...but my reef is worth it.