watts for an anemone?

teen

about how many watts do u think i would need for an anemone in my 45 gallon tank? its 24" high if that helps. also about how much would it cost? power compacts or MH?

J

jacob_poly

If you can afford it, go MH right from the start....250 W 10000 K should work great

J

jacob_poly

keep a watch on the temperature though....MHs can heat up an aquarium pretty fast....the smaller the tank the greater the effect. 300$ seems right...I got mine for 300$ - ballast, bulb and all....Also be aware that you will need to replace the bulb annually which is about 100$ for a 250 W HQI...

broncofish

Don't rule out VHO or T5's if your getting a BTA...but anything more complex I would definately go with a MH...I have scored MH setups for far less than 300...I by used ballast and capacitor, pick up a reflector and a socket, then buy a new bulb, and put it all in a DIY box...then again I'm pretty decent with electronics, but there are site out there that will walk you through it if you google a DIY MH setup.
Don't forget, just as important as lighting, current, food, water parameters etc...

J

jacob_poly

should work especially if you have rocks that the BTA can scale to reach closer to the light.....

broncofish

here is a picture of my 46 bowfront with an orange/white tip bta under 2x96 pc's this is just one of the clones I had two total and three green btas in there as well, at one point, before I had to sell them off to make more room for corals...as you can see the bta and the hammer were getting a little to close for comfort.

broncofish

and here is a picture of one of the green BTA's with the clowns in it...so i would say yes, you can keep btas under dual PC's..sorry the pictures suck...I took them with my cell phone

vthondaboi

thanks for the pictures, I was getting tired of people spitting out the old line of MH only for anemome or they'll suffer

broncofish

Originally Posted by vthondaboi
thanks for the pictures, I was getting tired of people spitting out the old line of MH only for anemome or they'll suffer
I do think that there are some anemones that definately need MH...but I also think that so much emphasis is put on lighting and that is only a tiny little part of anemone care. Oh and from what I've seen, my BTA's always looked healthiest under VHO's&T5's.

vthondaboi

been interested in T5 but I've read over at reefcentral that some corals have been hiding or shriveling because of it
perhaps cuz the light is more intense then people think,might want to check it out
for now I'll stick with PC since it seems to give me more wattage for my 36inch wide tank