Watts/gallon for SPS?

pbuck

I was wondering how many watts per gallon everyone keeps thier sps under? Also what brand of lights and bulbs does everyone use? I am currently adding some acropora and montipora and I am wondering if I should up my watts/gallon.

spsfreak100

The watts per gallon isn't even close to accurate, but it's a guideline....
To answer your questions:
1. 10wts per gallon
2. 2, 400wt 20,000k Radium
I think your current 250wt should be fine for keeping some. Make sure you also have good pH, good Calcium/Alk, as well as a mature tank.
Graham :)

jonthefb

im keeping some sps corals, namely a green slimer, a small frag of a baby blue acro, and two montipora caps, a brown and an elec. orange one, and the montis seem to be doing the best and growing the most, the tru acros have good polyp extension but not a lot of growth.
this is under 130 watts of pc light in a 20 gal, whis is like 6.7wpg, however they will all be going in my 65 soon with 2X 250w Mh, and 2 2ft vhos and will be under 10 wpg total!
good luck
jon

dburr

I just some frags about 6 weeks ago. I'm running 2 175 MH and 2 32 NO atinics. That makes 412 watts on a 100 gallon. 4.12 watts per gallon. :eek: Not very accurate.

pbuck

I'm glad to see that it changed color. I have 2 sps that are still brown. Hopefully time will change that.