Wave 2K/Seahorses?

rykna

The wave 2k is the coolest wave unit ever, IMHO. My reef tank flourished ten fold after I added the unit.I have spoken with the owner/designer of the unit regarding using in a horse tank. Mike thought that it would work fine. I haven't found anything that equals it's effective water movement/motion.
I think this would be a good unit for a horse tank, however, i wanted some input.
Thanks

crossan

I saw a video with that. It looks really cool, but I thought seahorses did not like such strong currents?

reefforbrains

Wave 2k's are like cheap tries at a Tunze Wavebox.........bout a third of the price too.
Both work but you really cant get much more in tune with your flow than a Tunze wavebox IMO

poniegirl

I don't have any experience with a wave maker, have never even seen one work.
I think a seahorse tank should have areas with different flows. Nothing that will cripple their movement, certainly. But I think they both enjoy and need moderately higher flow columns to move through.
I also think it largely depends on tank size.
And it is surely important to the overall health of the tank.

rykna

That was down the lines of what I was thinking. The guy who designed the Wave 2K mentioned that by using live rock to muffle the flow he felt that it would be fine in a horse tank. I'm still not sure the will be the road I'll take, but it will definately be on the possibility list.

I do not have any exp. with the Tunze wavebox.Wave 2k's are like cheap tries at a Tunze Wavebox.........bout a third of the price too.
Would like input on this wave box

Thanks

rykna

Wavebox 6212 - near-nature water movement
Tunze Wavebox 6212 is a wave generator for aquariums from 52 to 317 US Gal. It is especially suitable for reef biotopes as it generates an oscilating current. The current corresponds exactly to the wave structure and water movement in reef top zones. The Wavebox applies this oscillating principle through Wave Controller 6091, which uses the intrinsic resonance of the tank. A very low power consumption generates ideal water movement. The water is in movement in all areas of the aquarium, even the smallest section behind a decoration benefits from the wash.
# Oscillating current with near nature wave movement and circulation
# De-sedimentation of the entire aquarium habitat; nature water movement fish and corals is product
# Wave generation at low power comsumpton
# Supplements existing circulation pumps
# Little space required>
Dimensions: L 4.9 in x W 4.4 in x H 11.8 in
For tanks from 52 to 317 US Gal
For larger tanks, an additional Wavebox extension (without Wave Controller) can be used to extend the system.

poniegirl

I like that idea, I think.
The tank size range seems a bit broad, to me..good for a 52 and a tank 6 times that size??
So stormy seas in the 52?

monalisa

Originally Posted by Rykna
Here's videos for the Wave 2K
http://www.wave2k.com/
After looking at the Tunze, I deffinately think it would be way too much flow for horses.
What do think after looking at the Wave2K???
My opinion? Too much flow for horses...those chromis were having a hard time keeping up with it. IDK...cool, but I wouldn't try it with my horses. I had rethink putting the powerhead back into their tank when I first got them, but I did. I've been keeping a close eye on the path of their food as it goes into the tank, and from what I've observed (and certainly, I hope I'm right) there are very few, if any, dead spots in my tank. My 2 Whisper 40 filters (on my 37 gal) seem to do the job they're supposed to do. With each change, I bump up the flow just a little bit, and will do that until I have maximum flow from the filters...that's my plan anyway. So far, so good. If it gets to be too much for the horses, that's okay too...I can always bump it down a bit.
This really is a learning adventure, isn't it?
Lisa

rykna

Oh yeah. Brian and I spent 2 hours at Borders yesterday. I was of course pouring over marine fish books. There is Jack and ____, and Jack left town, when it comes to info about Seahorses...even in their natural habitats. There was this humongous reef book that covered just about every specie and habitat, except seahorses
ARRRRRRRRRGGGHHHH the irony. The books I did find were only available online. I really dislike purchasing a book that I cannot page through and validate it's contents.
I did find a cool little guide to North American caterpillars for my daughter Aria, who has recently taken up "bug hunting". I also picked up a book by Dr. Robert Goldstein, "The Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook". It has some interesting information regarding diseases and preventing break outs. It also had some nice charts.
So the search goes on....but justice will prevail.