wave box?

jchase1970

does any one here use a wavebox? are they good for waterflow. I really like the effects of the waves in the tanks I have seen on you tube. but other then there I have not seen any info on the forums about them.

reefkprz

they are bulky and generally expensive. I like the wave effect and the flow but its not cost effective for me.

aquaknight

Used a center model (4000gph) Wave2k on my 125gal, will be using it on the 240gal. Really a fan, the wave movements are just impossible to recreate with powerheads. Problem is there's no way to tune them down, so really only for 100gal+ tanks. Other issue is they blow the snot of the sand, really hard to keep the sand down. But my absolutely love surfing the waves.
Not sure if you've seen my vid on youtube;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mecg-dz_TAM

jchase1970

that looks so nice. I really like that effect. Maybe once I get my tank running I can look into something like that.

t316

I have seen a couple of these and so far, I'm not that impressed. My powerheads (which have timed controllers on them with 2 different settings each) have about the same effect IMO. I just set the first adjustment to low, and the next to high.....thus a wave every 20 seconds or so.

t316

No, the timers are not built in to the powerheads. I have had problems with my power adapters, but that's another story...
I have Tunze powerheads, and Tunze "controllers". The controller is just another piece that connects between the powerhead cord, and the plug in cord. I think the model I have is 6101, but I'd have to look.
Take a look at post # 97 on my build thread and you will see a pic of it...
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/316459/t316s-280-reef-continuation

pbnj

I bought a used Tunze Wavebox with the more powerful magnets from a local reefer for $300.
I absolutely love it. No more flow deadspots and watching the wave action is simply hypnotic.
If you have a reef-ready tank with corner overflows, it basically blends right in and is not an eyesore.