wave makers and pumps

kirkland

Do most wave makers come with a water pump or do you have to buy your own? Our wave maker did not come with a pump, the one we bought kept getting broken impellers. I can't get an answer on what pumps are good for cycling on/off for a wave maker, though lots of people told us the one we had wasn't any good for that. Not even the wave maker company could answer that question so I'm thinking I should get rid of the one we have and get a different wave maker if it would come with its own pump.

acrylic51

Not a lot of pumps like on/off....PH's really suck for that....maxijets are a little better, but they won't last a lifetime with the on/off......

kirkland

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
what kind do you have??
a wavysea wavemaker. it doesn't come with a pump, you have to provide your own. it cycles on anywhere from 1-60min (or pretty close to that anyway) so it is never on 100% of the time. it is sitting unused because the magdrive failed and we've no idea what to use next. sounds like we got the crappiest wavemaker ever. stupid LFS we got it from uses it in all their tanks and loves them but I can't understand why now that we've had so many problems with the pump, or lack of.

acrylic51

Can you post a pic of this WavySea product.....The WavySea I'm thinking about is to be run off of your return pump from your sump.....I thought the controller portion was to regulate how fast it swept or moved.....not for turning pump on and off.

kirkland

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Can you post a pic of this WavySea product.....The WavySea I'm thinking about is to be run off of your return pump from your sump.....I thought the controller portion was to regulate how fast it swept or moved.....not for turning pump on and off.
here are pics of the wavemaker in the upper right corner of our tank. we drilled through the plastic corner piece so the unit could sit on top while the return was beneath and in the water. the controller is mounted to the side and then there's a pic of the box it came in. the picture on the box shows everything it came with except the power adapters. as you can see, no pump in sight, you supply your own. it's not the wavysea plus. i emailed the company twice about this and the 2nd time, they apologized for not having a better answer than what i've heard here: magdrives are no good but no recs for a pump that will. i'm writing back to ask why don't they build one then? a used wavysea wavemaker does my tank no good and there doesn't seem to be a pump that can maintain what it does and the company didn't make one to go with it.

kirkland

Well, I think all we can do is get rid of this wavemaker. There doesn't seem to be a pump compatible with it and until the company that makes the wavemaker makes a good pump, it's pointless to have it. It's been sitting unused for 3 months now. Sucks that we drilled a hole for it.

petieaztec

my buddy's didnt come with a pump... he just hooked it up to his plumbing between the two return lines into the tank.....

C

calvertbill

My VorTech MP40w powerhead isn't a dedicated wave maker but it has three random settings from Lagoon Random, Reef-Crest Random, and Pulse modes. By making one the Master and the other two slaves (they wirelessly contact each other) I get some pretty interesting wave action. Added to the fact that I can hit a button on any of them and send the whole system into "feed mode" (they all slow down to minimum speed) I can get mysis moving through the tank slowly enough for the corals to grab some chow. If I leave the house or just plain forget, they all turn back on after 10 minutes.

bronco300

not sure i understand the problem? there are plenty of pumps out there you can use besides a mag that will do 2300gph or so that they say this wavysea can handle....
however i'm not sure why do you want a pump that shuts off and on for this? I don't really this of this as a wavemaker like the tunze wavebox that makes the water go up and down...but more just pushes the water in different directions that you can control the rotate and force...i dont think this type of wavemaker wont be good for the application you want having a pulsing pump...
if you want a wavemaker that pulses the pump on and off and creates a wave in the tank look at the tunze 6212 wavemaker