Wave Making Question

geraldwhite

Hey guys quick question.
I have heard of a wave making device that uses two pumps and an actuator, the actuator has two arms that block the flow from one pump while opening the other, this goes back and forth thus creating waves.
Has anyone heard of this?
What is it called?
Any luck with this setup?
Any Threads?
I did a search for wave pumps etc. with no results, wanted to know if i'm barking up the wrong tree.
thanks!

reefforbrains

Look for these two. They seem to be the current best choices out ther ein the hobby.
Wave2k its a flat box that goes along the backside of the tank with a gear driven motor that fills and empties the box every approx 7 seconds. 4000 GPH...about 275.00
The big Daddy that is the reigning champ for flow is the Tunze Wavebox. Pricey but its awesome for flow in larger tanks. google both and see the differences.. Retails for approx 550.00 So its spendy but certainly a nice unit.

geraldwhite

Ok, I answered my own question with a few hours of research, not a total loss becuase If anyone was wondering I'll explain it here.
The setup goes like this:
2 pumps
One electric actuator controlling a 3-way full-flo ball valve.
Hayward makes the actuator and 3-way ball valve combination.
The two pumps can be any pump with the proper power for your tank size.
The actuator is wired to a wave timer that closes the flow from one valve and opens the flow all the way to the other, the great part about this is while the valve is changing, there is no back-pressure on the pump, which causes motor stress, more heat, and possible cavitation (lots of bubbles in the water).
All this means you get full water movement over the whole tank with no dead zones.
For more information see this guide. http://www.rockcanyon.com/reef/flow.htm