wavemaker???

enomadra

It depends on the kind of wave maker you get as to weather or not you will need powerheads.
If you get an electronic wave maker, which turns on and off powerheads then you will also need powerheads.
If you get a SCWD, you can install it in the retrun to the tank in most cases.
Or their is a new wavemaker (which I am dying to get some feed back on) which will suck in several gallons of water and push it back out.
I am currenly using the SCWD and very happy with it. However I did have to run extremly small diameter line back to the tank in order to get the push I wanted coming out of the return pipe (this is something that is prob. specific to my application). I am also using this in my 55 gallon which is a 48" long tank. I think on the bigger tanks you may need to use several SCWD's to make it effective. Oh I also like the fact that I get the wave motion in the tank and have no powerheads, which means less heat :D .
Hope that helps.

innsmouth

I have the Rea Sea wavemaker and yes you need PHs to operate. It can control up to 4 of them and turns them on and off to create random currents. basically it's a glorified timer system but works well and saves space and outlets. Thumbs up.

reefrobber

thanks guys :D
enomadra when you get the info on the new wavemaker could you post it for me like the cost, gph, and all that good stuff thanks again, i am looking for one where i will not need any ph's :D :jumping: :D

enomadra

This device I am talking about is called a "Wave2K". If you were to do a search on that in google I am sure you would find their site. It pushes 8.8 gallon of water every 6 secounds (10 time a minute). Sounds like one heck of a natural wave maker to me but I have not been able to find anyone that has tried it. I have already emailed the owner and ask him to put up a video of his product on the web site, but he said he did not have the equipment to do that. Anyway good luck with you hunt, OH and this device also produces no heat.
:D

reefrobber

thanks again enomadra!!! i did a search on the wave2k, and i am seriously going to consider it for when i get my ninety gallon:D