Wavemakers & Tunze Pumps

gregghia

I want to create more realistic wave action. Hadn't thought about wavemakers until now but I wanted to try. I have a 75 gallon closed loop tank with a dual head return being pushed by a Mag12 pump with little head height. I also have a maxi1200 and two Tunze 6085 in the tank. I notice that when all the pumps are on there is great flow but corals get irritated and when there is lower flow the algae builds but corals are happier. Can't find a balance so I thought of wavemakers. I would like alternate flow and adjustable stream...
I want to use the two Tunzes I have as the main two and hoping to not have to buy more or new powerheads...
So any opinions on best options? Would these options work with Tunze? I hear that you can kill a pump quick matching up the wrong equipment.
Any help is appreciated.

forcrz6

I know that there is a DIY guide on how to do this.
1 uses 2 of the Tunze and a timer.
The other uses the same But also a box built of Plexiglas that had a door that was pushed open by the wave makers causing the waves.
Really all you need is a timer/switch and the Tunze's

hurt

You need a controllable tunze(DC pump)-(i.e. 6100, 6101, 6200, 6201) to be able to make a wave box with a DIY controller. I made the controller for mine(6100), but haven't gotten around yet to making the actual wave box the pump sits in. I will say the $5 he suggests it costs to build the controller is not realistic, I dropped at least $30 in radio shack for the parts to the controller.
Google: DIY wavebox tutorial
The thread starter had a sweet video of his in action and it was amazing, a 2-3 inch wave would go back and forth every 1-2 seconds. It seems his video is no longer there, but other posters have their DIY waveboxes in action in that thread. Here is one of those link .

forcrz6

Originally Posted by Hurt
http:///forum/post/2957582
I will say the $5 he suggests it costs to build the controller is not realistic, I dropped at least $30 in radio shack for the parts to the controller.
Is this in reference to the DIY video?

hurt

Originally Posted by forcrz6
http:///forum/post/2957596
Is this in reference to the DIY video?
This is in reference to the thread I suggested googling-DIY wavebox tutorial. It's the same controller I made and the same many others made in that thread. The PC board alone to build the circuit on was $5 by itself. This is a picture of my controller, all I did was follow the schematic and began soldering. Pretty easy to do. As you can see the cord in the lower left plugs into the Driver box to control the Tunze.
I bought a one year old Tunze 6100 for $200 shipped off the other large BB. The controller cost me $30, and once I finally make the box, it should be another $20. So for around $250, I will have the same thing Tunze sells for $550.
Comparing a wavebox to a bunch of powerheads put on timers that shut on and off every 10 minutes is really not comparable at all. The wave box will leave absolutely no dead spots in your tank. Powerheads and a timer are ok, but not even close to doing what a wavebox does.