Wavemakers ???

adamc1303

I need to add another power head to my 90 gallon reef tank. I am thinking of going with a wavemaker the "wavemaster pro". However I read somewhere that because the power heads just turn on and off the suprise pressure stresses the fish and can be fatal. What type of experience does anyone have with powerheads and wavemakers. I have a rio 2100 rite now doing 692 GPH I wanted to add a Seio 1500 to have 1500 GPH totalling 2600 GPH including my return pump. Someone help me out please.
Thanks
Adam

rabid frog

I bought a reefkeeper and I love it. It has built in timers for your lights and for your ph's.
My fish are not stressed about the ph's turning on and off. It doesnt really phase them at all.
The reefkeeper also has ph and temp probes that display on a digital monitor. It has 8 channels on the timer you can set-up in a variety of ways. I have 4 for lights and 4 for ph's and a return pump. It also knows the difference between pc's vho's and mh lighting. I have the ph's on a cycle of 2 on, 1 off and 1on 2 0ff switching every 5-6 mins. It also has options to turn the ph's off at night for a calm sea effect. It just leaves your return pump on.
It also has a feeding mode where it turns all the ph's and pumps off when you feed so you have less over feeding and it is easier to spot feed.
If you are looking for ph's to have on a "WAVE MACHINE" or timers I would not buy Rio's or the Seio's made by rio. They are not made to turn on and turn off. I had a Seio 820 on the reef keeper and it last about 2 months before it busted the magnet in 2 spots on the impeller. However, I do have powerjet 1200's on it and they do fine. If you have any more questions just let me know. Hope this helps.

lubeck

Get rid of your power heads and add a closed loop to your system. The mods told me to do it at the begining and I went through 4 different powerheads$$$$$$$$$$$$.
I added a DART sequence pump to the 4-way "Oceam Motion". It is unreal the corals and fish love it. I have better circulation than ever before and all detris gets swept from the bottom and then blown into my overflow box. it really is the best way to go.IMO

rabid frog

Ya but how much did the Dart and the ocean motion set you back? While this is a very valid idea, Money wise it can be a little unreachable for some. Last I checked it was 300.00+ for the Dart and 600.00 for the 4-way. While the Reef-Keeper 2 from digital aquatics is 270.00 plus a few power heads.

jessecnc

Doesn't have to be that expensive. The OM super squirt goes for $195 and will easily handle the flow for a 90. Add a 1200gph pump like the little giant or Gen-X, etc. for less than $200 and you've got a great system for around $400. Far cry from $900+. This is what I am planning for my new 90.

adamc1303

I want a closed loop specifically because of the look of power heads but I do not have enough room under my canopy for the PVC or under my stand or behind it for the pump. Plus I dont have the time to build the closed loop.

acrylic51

Go to oceansmotions dot com, and you can see them there.....You have to buy from Paul, nobody else carries his products.

jdboy

I have a 90g setup right now with 3 Maxi-Jet 900 on a Aquarium Systems Natural Wave timer and a Seio 1100 running constant. The Wave timer has an adjustable timer for each power head and I think can handle up to 100W per plug in. This unit has been up and running for several months now and the tank inhabitants seem to like the random flow that it generates. Also the Dr. site sells them in a combo with the power heads included for a very good price.

elvictre

Seio's will not work on a wave maker. They are not designed to turn on and off. It will only be a headache. Go with Tunze and a controller. You can simulate waves and day and night cycles.
Vic

jdboy

Originally Posted by elvictre
Seio's will not work on a wave maker. They are not designed to turn on and off. It will only be a headache. Go with Tunze and a controller. You can simulate waves and day and night cycles.
Vic
This is very true about the Seio's! I've heard that their working on a controller for them but nothing on the market right now will work for very long. The Tunze setup is very nice but has an outragious price tag! :scared:

hurt

From what I read on another board the Seio controller is just about to be on the market...