wavemaster pro by red sea

nycbob

anyone has this system? if so, what powerheads do u hv on it? i am currently running all koralias and am thinking of getting a wavemaker. thanx for the input.

C

cmaxwell39

From the little bit of research that I have done on this topic (I am researching for a new SPS setup) you cannont run the hydors on a wavemaker.
They do have a controllable version of the hydors out now, but you have to buy the controller and the special koralias that work with it. I have not read any reviews on this system though.

mkzimms

you cant run the korlia pumps on a wavemaker. when the wavemaker turns them off they sometimes reverse rotate when being powered back up. ive heard stories of them dying with only an hour of use.
some companies have solved the problem by having the pumps only go down to 30% power when "off" and then ramp them backup to 100% without ever turning them fully off. i believe the new hydor controller works like this.
as far as the wavemaker pro, i would only use maxi-jet or similar power heads.

nycbob

yeah i read that too with the koralia wavemaker, that it turns down the power to 2-3 watts to make the koralia powerheads work. but it costs like $450 for the unit to run 4 pumps. i am gonna hv to think this over b4 investing another $500 in this hobby. by my estimate, i hv spent close to $2000 just the last year alone.

C

cmaxwell39

My understanding of the new hydor controller is that it won't even run the standard koralias. I believe that you have to buy special koralias designed to work with the controller.

matt b

If you want a wave maker IMO just go with tunze which you willl end up spending 1000+ or go with a vortech which will be around 500ish. If you only have a 90gal one vortech will work but anything bigger I would get two.
You just dont want to cheap out on a wave maker cause no matter what they still cost alot but cheap ones will break over time.