ways to control green algae growth

giantregal

i was wondering, i have a 125 with 120 lbs of LR
i have NO clean up crew yet, because of aggressive fish that eat them, (they are going bye bye)
my questions is this
i get algae growth on the LR and the tang takes care of it, howver on the glass i have to scrape a little off daily
after i get a clean up crew will this fix my problem?
i also got a phosphate reactor, but its not here yet, im sure that will help some
i guess i can also build a fuge
stephan

razoreqx

Originally posted by GiantRegal
i was wondering, i have a 125 with 120 lbs of LR
i have NO clean up crew yet, because of aggressive fish that eat them, (they are going bye bye)
my questions is this
i get algae growth on the LR and the tang takes care of it, howver on the glass i have to scrape a little off daily
after i get a clean up crew will this fix my problem?
i also got a phosphate reactor, but its not here yet, im sure that will help some
i guess i can also build a fuge
stephan

I recommend a large fuge.. You would need at a min a 30g fuge to be effective for that tank..
Also if you dont have corals cut back on your lighting a little.. YOu have the same lighting I do from previous posts we have had.. How much do you run them??

neowind

The cleanup crew will DEFINATLY help. If you don't have corals run your lighting for only 6 hours per day for about 1 week it will go away. After that run the lights for about 8 hours daily or maybe a tad bit longer. If you are adding anytype of phytoplankton you can stop doing that and that would help.

giantregal

ok ligths i have NOW are: 400watts of PC's
ligths i will have in a week are 750 watts of MH 20K
i keep them on for like 12 hours daily, 10 am to 10 pm (this is prob to much no? :rolleyes: )
i do have corals , i have star polyps (3 colonies), orange zoo's, and some sponges, and somethings i cant name , maybe i should get them ID'd :eek:
i was thinking about doing this with lighting:
one actinic on at 10 am, the other on at 11am, one MH on at 12the rest of them on at 2, 2 MH's off at 8, the last MH off at 9, Actinics off at 10, Mooonlights on :)
if i cant do that (because of my ballast for MH)
ill do this:
one actinic 10, other at 12, MH on at 2, off at 8, one actinic off at 9 ther other at 10, moonlight
(i think i like the second one better)