We have 2 - 250 watt metal halides on our 50 gallon tank - Want to see what corals would be best to get

bnw614

Like I said in the Title we have 2 - 250 watt metal halide on our 50 Gallon saltwater tank.
My sister asked me what I wanted for my birthday and Christmas and I told her some corals for my tank.
So she was like what ones....lol
So thats why I'm posting to try to get a idea of what would do best with the lighting we have on our tank.
I figure we probably have more then enough lighting and its set on a timer for 9 hours a day...
Just wanted to get some ideas from others since we have never had corals before...
We've had the tank set up for 3 years now... and have plenty of live rock (as you can see in the pic) and live sand... have over 300 snails in the sand.. and a few big mexican snails... several crabs... We have a lionfish, 1 damsel which is pretty big now and a female Tomato Clownfish...
We've never bought any corals before and really wanted to wait for the tank to be set up a few years before we even tried corals.
So any ideas would be appreciated...
Thanks

luvmyreef

It really all depends on what you like. You could do some colorful montipora capricornis. Some soft corals like leathers ex: toadstool. Your lights should be able to sustain whatever you want in that tank. If nitrates are low, even sps later on once you get some experience with corals.

bnw614

Thanks luvmyreeef... So are they pretty easy to start with considering we have never had corals before?

luvmyreef

Yep. Usually the softies like leathers are pretty hardy. Also, zoas come in all kinds of colors and are good beginner corals. so are mushrooms for that matter lol. The montis like a stable dkh. and good calcium. Once they start to grow, they are usually a main centerpiece in your tank. I have two huge orange montis, both are a shade different in color, but both are awesome. I also have a lime green one that I wouldn't trade for anything!! Also, just look at the lighting requirements of the coral, and then determine their placement in your tank. Try to keep your parameters stable, and you should be fine. ;)

snakeblitz33

I'd cut your halides down to 6 hours a day or else you may fry your corals... Consider t5 supplementation for an additional four hours a day. You can burn corals.... especially soft corals.... with too much light.
It's good that you have a month to monitor your tank... additional light usually causes algae problems if you have any kind of nutrient issues.
My problem is the lionfish that you have in a reef tank... there may be some issues with that.
Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your stay!

bnw614

Hey SnakeBlitz33
Thanks for replying back to me... The lionfish we have is the dwarf type and to be pretty honest weve had (her) as I call the fish alittle over a year now.. We really thought she might be a issue with our other fish but to be honest shes really layed back... We keep her feed on a regular basis and hope that helps her not be to aggressive.. And shes pretty small which is what we liked about her.. The one that worries us is the Damsel... Its really aggressive and even picks on the lionfish and the clownfish... But the clownfish actually attacks back... but they have been tankmates for several years now.. Since we do have the lionfish is their certain types of corals we should stay away from?
So the lights we should take back from 9 hours aday?
As you can see in the pick they do give off alot of light....
I just really ran across a great deal on them and could not pass them up..
Thanks for the welcome.... I was really happy to find a group here in central ohio...
Thanks,
Will

bnw614

Hey luvmyreef,
Will look into those... I was happy to see that they are a forum with others actually selling corals... and alot cheapier then at the pet store.
Thanks for all your help...
hope you dont mind but i added you to my friends list.
Have a greatevening

fishhead80

Wow 2-250watts I a 50g. Make sure u acclimate ur corals to the lights. Start at the very bottom and work them up to where u want to place ur corals.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnw614 http:///t/393499/we-have-2-250-watt-metal-halides-on-our-50-gallon-tank-want-to-see-what-corals-would-be-best-to-get#post_3501234
Hey SnakeBlitz33
Thanks for replying back to me... The lionfish we have is the dwarf type and to be pretty honest weve had (her) as I call the fish alittle over a year now.. We really thought she might be a issue with our other fish but to be honest shes really layed back... We keep her feed on a regular basis and hope that helps her not be to aggressive.. And shes pretty small which is what we liked about her.. The one that worries us is the Damsel... Its really aggressive and even picks on the lionfish and the clownfish... But the clownfish actually attacks back... but they have been tankmates for several years now.. Since we do have the lionfish is their certain types of corals we should stay away from? Lionfish don't mess with corals at all... typically they are considered "not reef safe" because they will eat any small fish that can fit in their mouths. If that damsel isn't quick enough, he may find himself to be dinner.
So the lights we should take back from 9 hours aday? I would say 4-6 hours of metal halides. Closely watch and monitor your temperature with the halides on - if there is more than a 1F temp difference, you will have to adjust your heater up higher to make the water temp more stable.
As you can see in the pick they do give off alot of light....
I just really ran across a great deal on them and could not pass them up..
Thanks for the welcome.... I was really happy to find a group here in central ohio...
Thanks,
Will
Just like the previous poster, you will want to acclimate any new incoming corals to the new lights. You may even want to put a screen over the top of the tank (mosquito netting) to block out some of the light and start your corals at the bottom. Read more about light acclimating corals and you should be good to go... of course, that is one you figure out if you have a nutrient problem or not.

fishhead80

I like to use eggcrates as a light a diffuser. U can find them at Home Depot in the lighting section. It comes in a large pieces So Just cut it down to size. I use the leftover to make frag racks.

flower

Light is not the only consideration...nitrate and phosphate readings are really needed to tell us what would be good for your tank. Example: Xenia will die in a nitrate free tank...but the SPS corals will die in a tank that has nitrates.