WebCam

samsonny

Orite IC 300 IP Cam.
Bought it new from E-Bay (around $160).
Pretty good. It's nice that it doesn't need a computer.
Software came with it (Expedit?).
Pretty simple to set up.
And, thanks.

vavoom

Very nice. Too bad, it's not a little bigger, or I would use it as a screen saver. Actually, just minimized the screen to fit & have it on the desk top
Thanks again
Rob

samsonny

Thanks Rob,
I can make it bigger, but the frame per second rate drops.
After experimentation, this seems to be the best size.

bona42na

Very nice Samson,great tank and cam. I wanna do a cam like that for my birds and tank. How does it connect to the internet if you dont need a PC at the camera site ? Peter

samsonny

Thanks.
After the initial set-up (where you do need a computer to get the IP address of the camera), you no longer need the camera hooked up to a PC, like with the traditional webcams. The camera has it's own OS.
My set-up:
Cable modem >> 4 port router:
Port 1: desktop
Port 2: laptop
Port 3: other camera
Port 4: fish tank camera
The computers are upstairs. The cameras are downstairs. Just need to run an ethernet cable from the router to the camera (or you can get a wireless camera, but I prefer not to).
The computers inside the house have nothing to do with the camera. Basically, I can remove the computers and the camera would work as usual.

bona42na

Thanks Samson . I already have a D-Link wireless webcam for by birdcages and dont like the quality of it. Very un-reliable so I was looking for something to replace it.

jdogg2432

What are the dimensions of your 400 gallon tank? I watched your webcab forever, I was truely facinated. I've got a 210 gallon with assorted tangs and angels, but am tempted to start another one with some of the fish that you have in yours. Any information would be greatly appreciated. What is your setup like (skimmer, lighting, sump, returns). Awesome tank!!

bona42na

Kudos Samson ! I also have a Tenecor but a measley 110G . I find it pretty interesting that yourre running such an agressive and high bioload tank without live rock. The free swimming room they have is amazing! How often do you do water changes and how much ? Thanks Peter

samsonny

Thanks Peter,
I'm not terribly happy with Tenecor as my top panel started to separate from the sides a month ago. I had to do my own fix (with Weldon 3) which fixed it fine.
BUT, I notified Tenecor and they took their time responding so I had to fix it right away.
By the time they called me, I told them that I did my own quick fix and their "superfast" response was: since I already did my own quick fix, my warranty was now void.
Anyway, that's a whole other story....
Regarding water changes: I don't do any since I added my nitrate filter.
Ammonia and nitrites always stay 0 thanks to my large w/d filter.
Nitrates were 100+ in February. I did my last 200 gallon water change in January. Now, my nitrates are less than 20 and still going down thanks to my nitrate filter which I added in February.
It also has a Phosphate option which I just started so my phosphates are also on their way down (currently off the chart).
My coral skeletons keep the Ph at 8.2 or higher so I never need buffer.
I only add "saltwater" to make up for saltwater that I drain when I empty the canister filters to change the cartridges.