Week old tank

sntanner

I just recently purchased a 26 gallon tank, that we have set up as a salt water tank. Everything (just about) is working out fine, and I have gotten a lot of advice from a local kid who has a few of his own salt tanks, so I trust his judgment, but he is not always available. We have three damsel fish (was five until two of them didn't last in the first 2 days after putting them into the tank), and these 3 seem to be flourishing well. The hydrometer registers fine, the water is 78 degrees, and the PH is just about where it needs to be, maybe slightly low in PH, if anything...but not extraordinary. The problem is that we now have this brownish algae growing on the substrate and live rock, that is growing like wildfire. We are not sure how to get rid of the stuff. After reading a select few articles on these message boards, it occured to me that I might need to condition the water, even though it hasn't yet been 2 weeks since we have had the tank. I put in the water conditioner (TetraAqua EasyBalance...samples that came with the tank when purchased). I am writing this only about 3 hours after putting the conditioner in, because I am concerned about the fish, and don't want to wait until it is too late. I have attached a file that has a photo of the stuff I'm talking about. It is a brownish, yellowish growth. Any advice on what I should do?

m.rogers

have got your self a clean up crew they will help with algae and any food that your fish do not eat.

nickoz

IMO, Taking in to consideration that your tank is 1 week old and two fish have died I would check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. If your ammonia and nitrite levels are not zero then you biological filtration has not caught up with the bioload created by your damsels. ammonia and nitrite need to read zero, and ideally a nitrate reading of zero as well but since you said this only has damsels a nitrate reading of less than 40ppm would be acceptable but strive for close to zero. Once this is done to a large water change, 20-30% then think about getting a clean up crew.
Depending on what is on your rocks, diatoms, cyanobacteria, or dinoflagellates there are a couple things you can do but I would make sure you water parameters are zero then report back with your readings, helpful informatoin would be lighting photoperiod, feeding habits, filtration, type of water (ie RO, tap, filtered tap) etc.
The most important suggestion is to read a few books. I have 3 that helped me out to get a general overview of the hobby.
"The marine aquarium problem solver" by Nick Dakin
"marine reef aquarium handbook" by Dr. Robert J Goldstein
"the simple guide to marine aquariums" byt jeffrey Kurtz
Good Luck!
-nick

jakob4001

main problem I see is doing too much too fast...tanks do not cycle that quickly...I would like to suggest that other newbies reading this use a couple of uncooked cocktail shrimp to cycle the tank, also w/ Live Rock or Live Sand; then waiting at least a month before adding anything else live to the tank...the brown are just diatoms feeding off excess nutrients; eventually they will will exaust their food supply and should die off on their own as long as you do not add to the bioload yet or feed the tank too much...

bterry29

I am still a newbie at this (tank only up for about 5 weeks) but I'll offer this info. My tank has done the same thing. My water params are where they should be. I asked my LFS and read many postings about this. I was told by LFS and read in postings that this is quite normal with a new tank. I was told not to do a water change and to add cleaning crew. I have added crabs and snails (see signature) and it has helped although not totally gone yet. I think it is just part of a new tank cycle.