Weekly Water Changes

laddy

I have a 10g, and do a 10% weekly water changes every saturday morning which I buy down the street at my LFS. This past w/e I had about a cup of water left over so for the heck of it I poured it into my hydrometer. Normally the water never varies from 1.024-1.026, but this time the water was 1.028 (and I tested it after I put it in the tank!!). Which led me to believe that sometimes the water quality in their SW aint that grand. Do others test their replacement water every week? And if so, what should I be testing for?

twisted

You buy saltwater from the LFS? I thought the purpose of the water change was to put fresh saltwater in.

bigbobsull

It is. I've gone to two different stores and both have a seperate tank that holds saltwater. After I went to both fish stores I tested and everything came up clear.

tru

I think hes buying pre-mixed RO saltwater. As for them testing there water I think what they do is use a standard cup and see how many cups of salt it takes to make it right on 1.022 which is what I do I have 2 55 gallon plastic water barels I keep RO water in and what I do is pump the ro water out into a 5 gallon bucket which I then put 2 cups of salt in and shake the bucket up let it sit for a while and shake it again and then I put it in my tank and everytime its right on 1.022, but.. sometimes they might put to much salt maybe a different person was putting in the salt and put alittle to much.. its always good to test it before you dump it in.