weight limit

larrynews

is there a weight limit on what tanks can hold in them....i have about 180 or lbs of live rock plus a new top made from 3/4 plywood....has anyone had or heard of the tanks just collapsing or falling apart...just wondering....90 gallon tank...thanks

thangbom

well. for weight.. im perdy shure that the water is the heaviest of everything you will put in the tank.. ( water weigh about 8lbs a gallon.. and in 1 cubic foot area... you can hold about 7.5 gallons of water..) so the rock thing is nothing compared... imo... and as for a tank just exploding ... i had nover sen that personnaly but heav heard it happening when people set there tank and stand crooked ( not lvl) and uneven weight distribution causes the tank to explode..

pumper7

Originally Posted by ThaNgBom
well. for weight.. im perdy shure that the water is the heaviest of everything you will put in the tank.. ( water weigh about 8lbs a gallon.. and in 1 cubic foot area... you can hold about 7.5 gallons of water..) so the rock thing is nothing compared... imo... ..

Actually the rock is heavier than water thats why the rock doesn't float......
As for tanks exploding or breaking from the weight I've never heard of it.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Pumper7
Actually the rock is heavier than water thats why the rock doesn't float......
As for tanks exploding or breaking from the weight I've never heard of it.
No.. rock is more dense than water. That's why it doesn't float.
I can't imagine you will have a problem unless your tank is not level. Or if there is something under your tank that would keep the bottom from sitting flush.