Weight of tank

D

debdellac

Just a quick question. Should there be concern with a 110 tank set up in normal house construction? I really would like to get a bigger tank but also concerned about the heavy load on the floor.

celacanthr

well, your tank will weigh roughly 1,210 pounds when it is properly filled with water, and LR. I would ask a proffesional, and tell them how much weight you want to put on that floor, and maybe ask them where the best place to put it it.
HTH

reefrobert

All Glass aquarium
125 gal Empty wt 177 lbs, full 1400 lbs
150 gal 281 lbs, 1,800 lbs
180 gal 282 lbs, 2,100 lbs
210 gal 343 lbs, 2,450 lbs

D

debdellac

So Does anyone here have a 110 gallon tank sitting in the house on a second floor?

D

debdellac

I guess i should ask at work tomorrow. I work at an Architecture Firm...maybe thats where the concern is coming from

phixer

Single level floor or upper level supported with joists ? You really need to find out the load rating of your floor per square yard. Dont mean to state the obvious but if the floor is on a concrete slab, very likely no problems. 2K+ is a tremendous ammount of continous weight to be centralized in one area. Over time water spilled or soaked into the subfloor can eventually cause some types of floors to weaken and or rot unless there is a waterproof barrier between the floor and tank. Most engineers will want to see what you are talking about to give a precise answer.

seahorse11

I personally wouldnt set up a 110 gallon on the second floor. I have a newly built house and i was evened a bit concerned setting up my 30 gallon on the second floor. I ended up putting my 90 gallon on the first floor ( on a concrete slab,no basement). I figured if god forbid something happened to my tank and it fell thru the second floor, I wouldnt be insured and THEN what would I do? I am prolly being a bit paranoid, but better safe then sorry.

lionfish1

I had my 130g on the main level with a basement beneath and didn't have a problem. It was against the outermost wall also. so hope that helps.

phixer

Good point, if you place the tank against an outer wall the floor joists will bow less and the weight will be focused downward more so against the foundation. Ever seen what a leaking bathtub can do to a sub-floor?