Weight

krunk

How much pounds do you think a 2nd floor can hold? i have 90 gallons up there already. think it could hold a 125? (i dont think it can). but if i do that, all the other tanks are going in the basement.

acez28

well if you think about it. Just picture a King Size waterbed. Im pretty sure its heavier than a 125 gal tank with 130lbs of LR and 150lbs of Sand.

krunk

nice thinkin man, nice thinkin. But im not going too ahve alot of lr, probaly 50pds, dont ask, heh. in that case, i could probaly get away with a 150 mabey...

drgriff

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a second, a waterbed holds more weight than a 120 gallon tank, BUT the load is spread over a larger area, probably 6 feet by 6 feet, while a 120 gallon tank has all of the weight concentrated over an area of 2 feet by 6 feet. I really have no idea, I am a tooth carpenter not a structural engineer. Just giving my opinion.

broncofish

1920's heh? I would be a little worried, but compare the craftsmanship, and pride in work compared to some track housing today. Maybe you should call an engineering firm have them check it out. Here is my suggestion. I used to build pallets of oversized cargo for airplanes. We would often have to "distribute" the weight. We would do this buy sticking plywood underneath it, and gradually making it larger as it goes down. Maybe do the same thing with the base of your stand, make it gradually larger, that way you hit as many floor joists as possible.

krunk

alright thanks with th help, i think ill do what bronco said, but i will call the engineering firm just too make sure. thanks everyone.