Weird film ontop of our water

wintrmte

We've got this red film floating ontop of our water in our reef tank. We're using a Prizm skimmer today, which is why I asked my question below as to which is better.
We've done a couple water changes and such, but the film will not go away. It appears like a light light brown / redish tint..
Any thoughts as to how we can get rid of this? For what it's worth we're also combatting a red slime problem and I'd imagine the film is a bi-product of the slime.
Thx

wintrmte

Ahh ok, I'm going to pick up a better powerhead tonight as I think the powersweeps that I have are not cutting it.
Thanks for the info!

maryc137

Yep, more agitation to the top of the water will fix this right up. It'll be gone within a day if you point a couple pumps near the surface.

rook

You should do that anyways, as the increased surface water agitation will increase aeration and gas exchange in the tank, which in turn helps to stablize the pH with good CO2 exchange.

beaslbob

as stated by others surface film is very common and agitating the surface will help. Fish the are top feeders are a great help also. And believe it or not a molly will constantly be skimming the surface.

clarkiiboi

Originally posted by Wintrmte
Ahh ok, I'm going to pick up a better powerhead tonight as I think the powersweeps that I have are not cutting it.
Thanks for the info!

I bought these when I first started almost 2 years ago and I agree, dont cut it. Also after some time it will take some tweeking (and patience) to get them to even have the sweep motion. Drives me nuts!!! Then there was the time some old fashion banging got it going again, another story. If your going to get another type get maxi jet's---I have heard nothing but good about these from reading here. Heard Rio's are crap also. HTH. As for the film, its pretty much been answered, not much more to add. :)