Weird marking on side of Naso Tang

mr. limpid

I have never seen this before see pictures attached. Does anyone have any idea what it is and do I need to be worried? He is in my QT now going on its 3rd week eating well swimming fine 1 small white spot started the same day doesn't look like ick, but I'm watching. Ammonia 0, Nitrate and Nitrite didn't test, PH 8.2, plenty of water movement, he is a 20 gal. long.

Attachments

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is that bumped or is it flat to the skin. Use a magnifying glass to take a good look. The picture quality is too poor to see details.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can appear a light grey or even pinkish in color, and yes it is raised. It can be mistaken for ich. A solitary bump without the tell-tail outbreak associated with parasites can distinguish it from ich and the condition can come and go, frequently in the same area. It is a virus that can't be cured, but it can be successfully controlled. Under mag. glass you may notice a more cottony look to it.

mr. limpid

Thanks Beth, I think that is what the single spot is, I wasn't as concerned with the spot as I am with dark circle with pathes in middle.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I see what you are talking about with 2nd look at pic. This may be environmental stress. If the white spot is lymphocystis, a virus that frequently activates due to stress, then it's not a stretch to think that circular wide spot is coming from the same problem. That QT is actually too small for a tang (he looks on the larger side). Did these things develop while in the QT?

See what nitrites and nitrates are, as well as salinity (using a reliable measuring instrument for salinity). What and how frequently is he eating? I'd start offering zoecon or selcon as a supplement.

mr. limpid

Sorry to say he died last night. He was swimming fine and ate mysis shrimp and during the day he ate a quarter of a nori sheet (because that is all I gave him). Only spot was below dark ring and not raised just white spot. No other area had any spots. The dark ring got larger in diameter and was fading. The only thing I notices is that he had lost color in his tale. I believe you are correct Beth, about the size of the QT. I thought 3 weeks would not be a factor on QT, but I was wrong. I'll make sure the next tang is much smaller, or am I mistaken. Do all Naso no matter their size need a large QT tank. Please let me know about the size issue and any other comments are welcome, because I always want to learn. Makes me sick losing fish..

jay0705

I use a 20L qt myself. I only bought my naso bc the idiots at ***** had it in a 7gal tank for sale. After seeing it 2 diff times over a week i bought it. I had him in qt for 6 weeks bc honestly it was from *****. He was prob 6" then. Now he's 9-9.5 and had no effects from the qt. Happy prob not, but it was bigger then that 7gal!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There is no absolute truth with all fish. Living creatures are all individuals and have individual responses. I don't know how large that Naso was. He may have been in trouble already when you got him. A health naso placed in a 20gal QT with optimum environmental and nutritional needs met would have likely been fine. Myself, I used a 20 gal tank but also put small fish in it. There are advantages to getting smaller fish (small fish are still juveniles and more likely to adapt and are more accommodating to small isolation tanks).

Tangs and Angels tend to stress easy and also tend to be more vulnerable to stress related maladies than some other fish species. IMO, they require some additional TLC which includes complete isolation from other fish during transition from store to display in an optimum environment with quality fish foods that are designed for their particular dietary needs. Zoecon or selcon are also very good options for these fish and I don't say that lightly.

jay0705

There is no absolute truth with all fish. Living creatures are all individuals and have individual responses. I don't know how large that Naso was. He may have been in trouble already when you got him. A health naso placed in a 20gal QT with optimum environmental and nutritional needs met would have likely been fine. Myself, I used a 20 gal tank but also put small fish in it. There are advantages to getting smaller fish (small fish are still juveniles and more likely to adapt and are more accommodating to small isolation tanks).

Tangs and Angels tend to stress easy and also tend to be more vulnerable to stress related maladies than some other fish species. IMO, they require some additional TLC which includes complete isolation from other fish during transition from store to display in an optimum environment with quality fish foods that are designed for their particular dietary needs. Zoecon or selcon are also very good options for these fish and I don't say that lightly.
Totally agree, i had to feed my naso macro algae at first in qt

mr. limpid

definitely stressed, and may had some kind of bacteria because he was eating the night b4 he died. Thanks all for your help. I'm going wait a bit b4 getting another. By the way he was 5" over all.