Weird spots on my Kole Tang

maryg

I have a Kole Tang in my 55 gallon reef tank. He has these weird yellow spots on his fins. They are between 1/8 and 1/4 inch in diamater. It started with one spot about a two weeks ago on his dorsal fin. He now has 2 spots on his tail fin. He is fat and healthy other wise. He eats a variety of foods and algae sheets. There is no shedding or tearing on his fins and his eyes are clear. I had him for several months now and there are no new inhabitants in the tank. He stays within the LR and it is hard to catch and take a picture of. I will try as soon as he will let me get close enough. He is skittish.

maryg

I will try to take a pic but it is near impossible to catch a glimpse with a camera. I used SWF.com picture of a blue spot kole tang like mine and here is an impression of the spots. They are very pale and are flush with the scales not raised or anything.

sepulatian

Tangs will get faded marks when something is stressing them. Are any of your other fish chasing him? Have you checked for stray current? Do his fins ever look clamped?

maryg

Everything looks fine. I will check for stray current. Would a regular voltage tester work for this? I do have an extra grounding probe. He seems happy and fat and eating.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MaryG
http:///forum/post/2881651
Everything looks fine. I will check for stray current. Would a regular voltage tester work for this? I do have an extra grounding probe. He seems happy and fat and eating.
Yes, a regular voltage tester works fine. If he is acting and eating normally then I wouldn't be overly concerned. Keep an eye on it though to be sure that something else doesn't develop.