Well, he's not exactly gorgeous...but he's mine

groupergenius

Found this little Mantis while transferring some rock from 1 of my tanks to another. And yes...I will be keeping him.

nice. there is a new saltwater store my downtown lakeland, that is selling a mantis for 5 dollars. its blue and purple. about 5 inches long. rounded claws.
its a nice store. nice zoas, he has some that are rare, pinks, blues, bam bams, PPE and others that he is selling at regular price.
i dont remember the name , but you should check it out if you haven't already. on florida avenue.

What is the likelyhood of getting a Mantis from your live rock into your tank? These things freak me out considering that they can kill a triggerfish, and everything in their path!!

I know people get them sometimes, but is it rare? Plus, is the only way to know if you have one is to wait and see if fish start to disappear?
Thanks and good luck with your mantis!

cranberry

Originally Posted by Saltandpepper
http:///forum/post/2876689
What is the likelyhood of getting a Mantis from your live rock into your tank?
Depends where you get your rock from. Florida rock is famous for having them in there.
Great find. BEAUTIFUL critter.

auntkaren

For the one who asked how one can tell if it's a mantis..... one way is to listen. They have very large loud snaps! It sounds sort of like a rock hitting the glass. That's one way that they catch their prey. The snap stuns them.
Pistol shrimps also snap but you rarely get a pistol shrimp as a hitch hiker. We did get 2 mantises and one pistol shrimp from Florida live rock.
:)

csmicro

What is the likelyhood of getting a Mantis from your live rock into your tank?
I purchased about 200lbs of Rock from “Florida Live Rock” and was under the impression that they were kinda of rare. So far I have removed 3 from the DT. With atleast 1 more that I know of still hidding.
All three are in my sump now.
I use a siphone hose to capture them.
-Ken